Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Thunderbird Template/blueprint/design?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twizm, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Twizm

Twizm

Oct 29, 2002
    sydney australia
    Ive got a friend who builds guitars/basses, and i want him to build me a gibson thunderbird replica. the reasons i want him to do it rather than have a true gibson are:

X im left handed, and they are hard to find left handed in australia, if at all.
    X hes doing it tailored EXACTLY how i want it to sound, look, feel, and play. (thoughts of whammy bars, optigrabs and removing the neck dives, all sorts of crazy options have arised)
    X hes doing it to fit my budget (around 700-800 AU)
    X when hes done, it will be the meanest, bestest t-bird out there, and itll be very individual. it will probably sound better than the real thing too.

so what im after is a blueprint, template, or diagram of the body/neck/ head of the bass to copy for him. i have a method already, but this way would be much more accurate (id like to trace around the one at the local guitar shop, but fat chance of them allowing that)

any ideas on where id find this kind of stuff? i tried google, but no luck. all helps appreciated.