1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Thunderbird Vs. Them All

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MN_Bass, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Think about selling my Gibson Thunderbird, Its been a good bass, not a lot of variety though...I play your standard rock and rolla...here are some of my replacement possibilities..

A) Rick 4003
    B) EB Stingray Maple Fret
    C) Fender P Bass Maple Fret

Any suggestions, I play through a SVT Pro 6 and 8x10.

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    There isn't anything...ahem...Ain't NUTHIN more rock 'n' roll than a P bass through an SVT. IMO, of course :smug:

I'd look into an 08 Fender Am Std Precision. Fantastic basses.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    IMG_3220.

4. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    I would second that American Deluxe P-Bass. Very nice bass (or at least the one I played at GC was). Plus having the 22 frets is nice advantage for around.

5. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    bad argument :meh:
    i love them all.

6. Why not keep the T-Bird and save for another bass? I've got a few P-basses and Rickenbackers (4001 and 4003) and I wouldn't trade them for anything, but I have said I want a T-bird someday too!:bassist:

7. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    +1

I loved my P into my old SVT!!

The new Am Std are great basses too...

:bassist::bassist::help::bassist:

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    What year is the Tbird ? If it is a original '63-'65 or a Non reverse '65-'69 Keep it. There ain't nothing that can touch a 65- 69 nonreverse Thunderbird

9. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Those all sound like valid options :p. I think I would go with a StingRay, but then again I haven't owned either other basses. What I do know is that SR's sound amazing through an SVT, it kind of amplifies (I'm not talking about volume ofcourse :p) the character of the bass. BTW, why not just try them all???

10. sorry to derail, but what is the difference between a reverse and non reverse T-Bird?

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    My '69 Non reverse, set neck. [​IMG] '63 -'65 have neck through body and are shaped like this ( note this is not a vintage Gibson but a 2000 I modded the crap out of) scotdd.