1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Thunderbird--Why did I have to play it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Mar 20, 2009.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    There was only one Bass I had never tried before that peaked my curiosity after watching Kings of Leon. I have played the Epiphone versions and though they were OK but nothing special. I went to Best Buy today and played the USA version. First thing, Gibson has dropped the price to be more competetive with Fender to $1499.00. At least that is what I was told and that was the price. It used to be $2200 or something. Second, I plugged it in. Oh my god, I fell in love. The tone is perfect for me. I often play with a pick as well and it seems really suited for that kind of style. The neck felt great as well.

GAS....GAS....GAS

Now I got to figure out if I should get rid of my GL Jazz and Jaguar to fund one. Or keep those and get rid of my USA P Bass. I kind of now wish I never played it. GAS :bassist:

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Best Buy? Who knew!?!

I would keep my eyes open for a used one on Ebay - - I too have often lusted after one, and the US T-birds are really nothing like the current Epiphones.

3. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    yea, best buy...huhhh?

4. BEST BUY!? i thought they were going out of business. SINCE WHEN did THEY sell musical instruments...

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Pssst, (I'll sell you my 5 string Tbird for alot less, PM me for details if you're interested.)

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The Best Buy near me has an increadible looking one with really nice mahogany & finish.

7. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Good luck,

They're a wonderful expensive addiction..............
    That's a good price on one too, Gibson dropped their prices about September 08. :smug:

birds006.

8. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, Best Buy is now the biggest competition to Guitar Center. They even do setups, provide lessons, etc. Crazy, for sure. They have a nice little setup at the South Austin location. Their prices are comptetive too. They had a Geddy Lee on the wall a few months ago for a $599 blowout. I want the Thunderbird. :ninja:

9. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO

Darn I would love this if it were a 4 banger. I just never spent alot of time on the 5. It feels like a hand with an extra finger to me. Thinking about it though. Maybe I can finally bite the bullet and start playing a 5 string. Hmmmm....

10. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    :eek: Wow, that is a nice collection you got!

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A Thunderbird IMO has the best worst tone and the goofiest but cool look of any bass IMO.... and that is a complement.:D

I want one and have no idea why! They aren't versatile, they balance terribly and neck dive like crazy, the headstock will break if you breathe on it and they sound as bassy/nasally as hell.:confused::D

I will be buying one eventually though!:hyper::bassist:

12. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    They have that one tone. It is one that l like alot!

13. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Anyone here have any success making a Thunderbird out of Fender or is it hopeless??? I thought about routing 2 T-Bird pickups into my Jaguar at one point.

14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
  15. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That is pretty cool actually. The T-Bird works perfectly for the type of tones I am looking for. I had no idea all this time. That and a P Bass would pretty much keep me happy for a long long time.

16. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    DUDE SERIOUSLY?! SO AWESOME!

17. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    BUY A THUNDERBIRD, USA - You'll never regret it. After much consternation between a Gibson 1970 EB-1 and a tricked out 50’s Fender re-issue P-bass I bought the P-bass. Although, it's smooth as silk, has a well balanced tone and I can get to the 18-20th fret easier - it's no T-bird.

TBird1958 - I use your picture as my wallpaper for motivation and my wife says, "no-fn WAY when she walks by"! Gives a man something to dream for though - u be 'd man!!

Ur kidding right??? Best Buy and musical instruments??

18. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Thank You :)

19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    got one for every day of the week!