1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squirebass57, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Squirebass57

Squirebass57

Dec 18, 2015
    Texas
    I have long been a fan of this bass, and like the new ones as well. But I really don't care for the black pickups, tuners and bridge of new ones, I really like the vintage look better. Does anyone know if the chrome replacement parts are available out there to do a replacement on a modern T Bird, without drilling new holes?
    Thanks!

TBird1958 likes this.
  2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Do yourself a favor and buy a Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird. 20180919_200931.

JIO, Rezdog, Gluvhand and 1 other person like this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    While I can't second this personally (Epiphone doesn't make lefty basses) - I will say that yeah, one of these might make you very happy. But, if you really want a Gibson? Yes, shiny stuff for a Gibson T-Bird is available. I'm thinking about shiny gold stuff for my lefty black '18 T-Bird, in fact...:thumbsup:

4. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Ah a lefty, got ya.

5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Mostly, but you will inevitably be dealing with the 3-point bridge that's on most every T-bird. The Gen1 '63-'65 style 2 piece replica bridge can be bought (Badbird-eBay) and can be mounted after filling the 3 post holes. There are (smaller) chrome clover tuners that will fit the smaller hs, (peeps at the Thunderbird club will help find them) and there are a few different chrome pu's w/rings to choose from now available at various price-points.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    My 1989 with chrome parts, the 3 point came from Gibson, it was a bit trying to get one. The tuners are from Hipshot, they don't list them on their website but the have some that drop into the existing holes that are clover shaped. The pickups and chrome bezels are from Mike Lull and are exact reproductions of Gibson's 1963 Thunderbird design. The bridge cover is N.O.S. Gibson from Ebay. This was an expensive conversion but well worth it, I have true vintage tone from a more modern bass that I can take to any show and not worry about.

gSPDdkm.

Birdbrain likes this.
  7. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Life on the road 7 shows 10 days we are in Toledo.........I think. 20181109_110540.

SirMjac28 and steveb119 like this.