1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rien, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    For my next bass i'm looking at a new Thunderbird bass. I have played one once, but only for about 5 minutes. It sounded good fingerstyle, but can you guys give me some information on it?
    Thanks.

2. i just bought one. i think it has an awesome tone.
    you also look very cool playing it. i do have some concerns though. 1 the finish seems to be wearing off on some of the edges(i am going to e-mailgibson and see what they plan to help me with).
    2 it is head stock heavey and slides down if you let go of the neck. ive heard of people using different kind of counter weights. all in all i like it it records well and has a good sound live and damn it looks reaaly hot!:D :D

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that's a great bass. but it's not the standard nor a bass for everyone. be sure to check it out very well before buying. first of all it is quite strange to find a confortable way to play it. second the two humbuckers are REALLY HOT. this means a lot of power but it's hard to have a clean sound. the sound is superwarm and the bass is versatile. i love the t-birds...

4. I have one, sold my fist one and missed it so much I bought another one about a year later.

Do a search on it here, the topic comes up like a trend. Seeing that you just brought the TBird up I figure the other questions shall start rolling in.

VLADTHEIMPALER, nice name, I would expect Vlad to play a Thunderbird.
    :D