1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrismurray, Sep 2, 2008.

1. chrismurray

chrismurray

Sep 2, 2008
    Belfast
    Hi Guys,

I'm planning on getting a new Bass, but could use a little advice. I've more or less settled on the Gibson Thunderbird, but am still undecided whether to go for the Studio or IV. I can't seem to find enough distinction to pay out the extra 450 for the IV.

Has anybody had any experience with these?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The studio is less expensive because it is a slab body with a set neck vs the 9 ply neck through, thus less expensive to make. Both use the same pickups and both are mahogany

Design wise the studio has radiused edges that give better upper fret access, a better bridge and a slimmer headstock for better balance.

The Studio is no longer being made though.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I just got myself a studio 5 a couple of months ago and love it. It balances almost perfectly, has an awesome neck and action, and lot of deep thick sounds. I kinda like the fact that they're discontinued too. :) They're still available in the online stores, but I don't think it'll be for much longer. Never played a non studio, but I HATE neckdive and all I've heard was enough to make me never even consider one.

4. chrismurray

chrismurray

Sep 2, 2008
    Belfast
    Thanks guys! Much Appreciated!

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I tried a 5 STUDIO and it's a huge bass and chunky neck. I have heard it has a tremendous B string and a great bass, roaring tone. Ralph Armstrong told me he is jonesing for one.

I think the Studio's updated design was great, but I guess not great enough.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have a Studio 5 as well, but absolutely no complaints. One other HUGE difference, the standard iv weighs alot less. Everytime I pick up a regular Thunderbird, I'm amazed how light it is compared to my Studio model. Either one will sound like a Thunderbird sounds, unlike the Epi version, which only shares the basic body style but otherwise is a completely different instrument.