Gibson/Tobias Killer B, more info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moo, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hello again. I just got a Gibson Tobias Killer B and contrary to all my experience with Gibson Tobias' this one doesn't suck, it actually plays well and sounds really nice. So I'm looking for any info on it particularly the year. (no, I don't want to date it, I aint fallin for that one)

The last owner felt it was a 1993 which would make it early Nashville. The serial number is 0104203 which is longer than any number I found in my searches. It has 3 Bartolini black blocks in the control cavity. A XTCT-LZ, a DTA1-something and an unmarked one. No push pull pots. Plastic knobs with a white line. Maple bubinga neck. Pups have the arched tops but not with the tab for the mounting screws. The bridge says Tobias near the B string.

Here's a few pics to help. Thanks for any info.

Attached Files:

2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You may want to shoot Gibson an email.
    They where surprisingly together when I asked them about my Classic 5.

They verified date of production, list price, wenge fretboard...body wood...
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Killer B's seem to be the only fairly consistent Tobias that Gibson makes. All the classics and whatnot seem to be dead inside. The Growlers are crap for what you pay. I played what looked like a Bubinga body, Wenge fretboard Killer B 4-string at a local guitar shop and that tone was incredible. The controls perfectly shaped every aspect of the sound without going overboard with boost or cut. I was extremely impressed.

P.S. - I've played some other Killer B's that impressed me just as much.
  4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hmm...Tobias serial numbers are numeric. Right now we are at the 10,800's. I can look for some old records to see why this bass was stamped differently. With that headstock veneer I would say it may be later than 93. But I really can't be sure. Also, does it have a 18v pre or a 9v?
  5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hmmm, maybe mine is from the future? It's a 9v. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    A quick email to Gibson brought this response