Gibson/Tobias Renegade - good price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Hey, all you Gibson-era Tobias owners out there. I ran across a Renegade 5 on, and am wondering if the price he's asking is in the 'normal' ballpark - $550. Also, what kind of preamp/pickups do they have? Barts right? do they do the Stingray sound at all?

Spare me the generic "GibsonTobias are crap" rips, but if you have some specific issues that's cool.

I'm a little skitish, because it's a long distance trade, I don't want to be disappointed.

Thanks for the help.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Don't know much about the Renegade. I had U.S. Gibson-made Growler. It was a nice bass. Tight low end. Very fat, round tone. Decent B string.

The necks feel great.

Mine had the quadcoil like a 'Ray, but it would not rob that tone.

I didn't care for the petite body and the very frail finish. It didn't fit my body shape and playing style at all.

If the bass is in good shape, the price is about right I guess. U.S. Gibson Tobias basses don't seem to move around much these days.
  3. Jump on that sucker. Growlers and Renegades are great basses. $550 is a steal.
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Renegades have Bart pickups...a soupbar (double coil, I think) and a thin (J without the screw circles) single coil. Vol, Bal, stacked T/B controls with a contour switch. I good bass with excellent electronics for what sounds like a very good price. I would go for it!

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I had a Tobias Renegade for quite a while (for me anyway). It had a good sound, but I wasn't a fan of the neck profile at the time. I also didn't like neck and fingerboard getting dirty.

In terms of sound, it's Stingray-ish, but not as warm as a EB Stingray (I've had two of those too), but perhaps more aggressive. It's very light, which is a big plus. Adding in the jazz pickup adds some warmth and it also sounds good on it's own. It sounds great in the mix. Now I kind of miss mine! :( Although I've never owned a Growler, I understand that they sound more Stingray-ish, and people tend to like them more (but they cost more). Personally, I liked the added flexibility of the narrow jazz pup.

Take care,

In case you don't have it already, here are some stats:

The Renegade's beauty is in its simplicity. Featuring a solid alder body and maple bolt-on neck, it speaks with a powerful vintage voice. The sound is supplied by a humbucker and jazz bar pickup, both custom made by Bartolini. A toggle switch allows the humbucker to run in "series" or "parallel", offering a wide variety of tone. A pull on the tone control activates the contour circuit, which uses a trim pot to boost the Renegade's EQ curve. For a more "natural" sound, the tone contour circuit is by-passable.

* Solid alder body
    * Three-piece, bolt-on maple neck
    * Heelless neck joint/dual truss rods
    * One Bartolini humbucker, one Jazz Bar humbucker
    * Active preamp with TC-7 pickup circuit, push-pull tone control
    * Tobias bridge
    * Black hardware
    * Maple fingerboard
    * 24-fret, Double Octave range
    * Hand Rubbed Oil Finish
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars

I think the price is good, but not a giveaway (although I haven't been checking prices lately). I bought mine for $465 and sold it for $475 (and that took a week), but that was a couple of years ago. That said, it's a great $550 bass IMO.

7. Hey, I was able to dredge up an old Gibson press release that told about it, with links to a couple of pictures.

I love the old-style Tobias body, and the 34" scale will probably be a little easier on my tiny hands than the 35" Roscoe I have. So is that a single knob tone control or is it stacked? How about string spacing?

I've seen them here and there on the net anywhere from $500 to $1000, so I guess the price is pretty good. I'm hoping to work a trade. I'll post a picture or two when I get them. It's trans black over alder, I'll see if I like the combination.

Thanks for the help, keep it coming!