1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson trying to re-kindle Kramer... why?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Low8, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    My guitar buddies and I do not understand this maneuver whatsoever. Why on Earth are they trying to pump life into a brand that has little to zero connection to today's rock guitar scene? Ask most high school kids who are into music who Dave Sabo and Tracii Guns are and they're gonna laugh at you. Just when I thought Gibson was about to get on the right track, I suppose they want to hemorrhage a little more money.

How Gibson Revitalized Heritage Shred Brand Kramer in 2021 | GuitarPlayer

TheAnalogKid likes this.
  2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Guess they need a pseudostrat? Hate the headstocks and colors, but that's just me.

edencab and Low8 like this.
  3. I'd imagine they looked at the spending power of people who were in their teens and twenties in the 80's and early 90's and decided to try and create nostalgia for Kramer type guitars.

Fender owns Jackson and cranks out a good number of them. I'd guess Gibson wants part of that market.

4. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    They go pretty well with all those acid-washed denim jackets I saw in Walmart today.

5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Back in the day it was us that was acid-washed.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    That would be my presumption as well.

5StringBlues likes this.
  7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The same reason Fender wants to “pump life” into the Charvel brand. There is a nostalgic market for ‘80s Metal guitars, and Eddie Van Halen, Mick Mars, Vivian Campbell, Richie Sambora, and so on…are still relevant guitar heroes.

8. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Guessing because of Eddie Van Halen’s death and trying to capitalize on it?

Aqualung60, drumvsbass and ajkula66 like this.
  9. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Wake me when they resuscitate Kramer's aluminum necks.

10. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I'm actually surprised anyone had to ask, and surprised it took 5 months. Expect to see stripy guitars.

BillMason likes this.
  11. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "You can always count on Gibson to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

12. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Gibson has owned the Kramer name for years and has made them off and on since the late ‘90s. I think even the current push preceded EVH’s physical decline and death.

dkelley, Dominic DeCosa and Slater like this.
  13. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    It's a smart move. The growth area of electric guitars/basses is the entry level market. Metal is popular with young people. Focus sales on a growing market. Don't believe me, go to NAMM.

FanOfAlice and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  14. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I was going to say. I have two teenage daughters and so I can tell you all that 80s style is coming back.

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Asoide from the obvious neck dive issues, I had a couple of those and sonically they were killer - dead spots? What dead spots? The whole neck had sustain for days - there is no wood neck with that kind of consistency in terms of sustain. Just remember that, when you get to the gig in the winter, the first piece of gear that goes inside (on the very first trip in) is the Kramer (you want the neck to be warm). Sometimes the bar owner would say "no more gear in the place for an hour" or something like that after you'd walk in - trying to give the staff a chance to clean or whatever before the band took over the place. Whenever I heard that, I'd grin (the bass was already inside).

The other thing that Gibson may like about Kramer - the late 70's early 80's was the pits for Fender - the pointy guitar era was not at all kind to Fender - they were struggling. If an 80's craze breaks out, and Gibson has Kramer in its corner, they may be able to steal some market share from Fender in the ensuing scuffle.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Sands, Riff Ranger and SirMjac28 like this.
  16. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    My 14yr old guitar playing son is a big fan of 80's guitar heros and guitar styles. Doesn't surprise me at all.

17. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Owned a DMZ5000 myself; I'd welcome it back with open arms.

ajkula66 and nbsipics like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I had a Stagemaster and a fretless DMZ5000. If I were 22 again, I'd join you, but at 11 and 12 pounds a piece, at my age, I will pass this timne around. I donated mine a few years ago - some kids starting out get to do that on Kramers.

19. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I think I had mine until I was around 22 or so. That was 46 years ago and I'll be damned if I can remember who I sold it to.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I had mine for about 30 years. You didn't sell yours to me (I got mine new). So, one less person to check with.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021