Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Victory Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infamous_MB, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Infamous_MB

Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    Indy
    Can the pickguard be removed from the Victory bass, or are all the electronics routed from underneath the pickguard?

2. Can't you try it to find out? Or do you not actually have a Victory and this just a hypothetical question?

Victorys are cool basses - I hardly ever see them around here. I do have an RD Artist which is its predecessor though. They sound amazing although sometimes I wish I had the smaller body of the Victory.

3. Pictures below show a recent acquisition (1981 s/n 81751676).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My question is ~ does anyone have any details about the nature of the circuit and the use of the controls? There is some stuff 'out there' about the RD Artist Bass, but I'm not convinced it's exactly the same. The Gibson site does not seem to be good on 'user manuals'.

I've also seen pictures of models where the neck and head are completely black unlike here where the wood is natural at the back. Is this just Gibson's rich range of options, or are there any real differences in quality between finishes?

Thanks in advance,

G4

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Victory Artist circuit is a bit different than the RD Artist (the RD has four knobs for one thing) but it does have a compressor/expander similar to the RD. Beyond that, it's hazy.

5. If there's no routing on the back (i.e. plastic covers), then it's front routed.

6. Brianrost, thanks for the comment ~ the left hand 3-way switch (as you look down on them while playing) is definitely the pickup select (left=neck, middle=both, right=bridge) ~ the right hand 3-way switch is the pre-amp options (left=passive, middle=active, right=Moog or compress neck and expand bridge ~ I think), but I have to admit that my ears are not up to really differentiating the real nature of the right hand setting. The two tone controls also seem to operate on the 'passive' setting to a limited extent. I suppose a Victory circuit diagram would be the real decider.

To further Infamous_MB's question, I haven't taken the pickguard off yet, but given that the back cover is only a small battery compartment on the Artist I assume the circuit and pots are all confined in routing under the pickguard, and the same is probably true of the Standard. Just be careful you keep track of all the screws!

G4

7. g4ui83tp2, is that your Victory? That's a very nice looking axe, and I love sunburst. I missed a few chances to buy a brand new RD Artist in the late 70s, and regret it deeply. I've never played a Victory. (I don't think)

Mike

8. Michael,
    Yes this is the actual bass I brought home yesterday. Massive power, massive sustain, massive weight (but I think for quite heavy simple rock'n'pop it does the business and the burden is worth it).
    G4

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA