Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Victory question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Oysterhead, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    A g****r player friend and band member of mine just got a sweet deal on a Gibson Victory Artist Series and I love the way it plays. However I prefer 5 stringers, so I was wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of a good 5 string bass that has the feel and playability of the Victory.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    wow I didn't think anyone liked the victory bass when it came out in the 80's but me. good choice. Gibson made a bass in 1987 called the "V" the four string version was called the "IV". Gruhn Guitars in Nashville comes across a few every so often as does eBay. These are similar though not exactly like the Victory and can be had in great shape for under a grand. Also just depending on how much you are wanting to spend the Gibson custom shop in Nashville can build you a 5 string Victory bass if you like.

3. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    Thanks for the tip, a five string Victory would be awesome. I am getting a hardon just thinking about it. I am sure that it would be costly to have a custom one made but I wonder about converting a 4 to a 5.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You could convert it to a five, but you would wind up with very narrow string spacing.

5. I like the way Victories sound, I like the way they look, but they are too damn heavy for me. Im a singer and a basser and a little guy to boot( 130lbs,5'9) , those things kill me standing up!

But a five string, that would be unique and very cool! :)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I owned a Victory for a little while. I accidentally whacked our singer in the head with it because the headstock of the Victory is much longer than the headstock on my MusicMan Cutlass, which was my #1 bass at the time.

Anyway... as I recall, the Victory had a nice chunky neck profile. So, I would suggest the Roscoe Beck V or Warwick Streamer Stage I because they both have chunky neck profiles (especially the Warwick).

7. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    I was looking at that last night and you are right but I think there is enough room there to make it work and still be comfortable. However I doubt my friend would sell it to me anyways. But in the mean time I can still play it whenever I want.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, its nice to have a place like this where those of us who "swim in the deep end" can get together and talk.