1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Victory question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Oysterhead, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    A g****r player friend and band member of mine just got a sweet deal on a Gibson Victory Artist Series and I love the way it plays. However I prefer 5 stringers, so I was wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of a good 5 string bass that has the feel and playability of the Victory.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    wow I didn't think anyone liked the victory bass when it came out in the 80's but me. good choice. Gibson made a bass in 1987 called the "V" the four string version was called the "IV". Gruhn Guitars in Nashville comes across a few every so often as does eBay. These are similar though not exactly like the Victory and can be had in great shape for under a grand. Also just depending on how much you are wanting to spend the Gibson custom shop in Nashville can build you a 5 string Victory bass if you like.

3. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    Thanks for the tip, a five string Victory would be awesome. I am getting a hardon just thinking about it. I am sure that it would be costly to have a custom one made but I wonder about converting a 4 to a 5.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You could convert it to a five, but you would wind up with very narrow string spacing.

5. I like the way Victories sound, I like the way they look, but they are too damn heavy for me. Im a singer and a basser and a little guy to boot( 130lbs,5'9) , those things kill me standing up!

But a five string, that would be unique and very cool! :)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I owned a Victory for a little while. I accidentally whacked our singer in the head with it because the headstock of the Victory is much longer than the headstock on my MusicMan Cutlass, which was my #1 bass at the time.

Anyway... as I recall, the Victory had a nice chunky neck profile. So, I would suggest the Roscoe Beck V or Warwick Streamer Stage I because they both have chunky neck profiles (especially the Warwick).

7. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    I was looking at that last night and you are right but I think there is enough room there to make it work and still be comfortable. However I doubt my friend would sell it to me anyways. But in the mean time I can still play it whenever I want.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, its nice to have a place like this where those of us who "swim in the deep end" can get together and talk.