1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson's PR Damage Control

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nomaj, Jul 3, 2019.

1. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Gibson is in damage control mode after the creepy Mark Agnesi debacle and the tidal wave of bad karma that they have brought upon themselves with the Dean lawsuit.

(NASHVILLE, TN, Monday, July 1, 2019) Since emerging from bankruptcy less than a year ago, Gibson has made significant progress in the key areas that matter most to guitarists around the world. With a clear focus on quality , a new collection of Originaland Modern guitars , and a more confident Dealer and Artist base , the new team at Gibson have proven they can listen to the market to create new solutions. But there is still more work to be done and the new team at Gibson remain on a mission.

While new management is building on the legacy, quality and craftsmanship that guitarists have come to love and expect from Gibson , they will also continue to manage and attempt to resolve the conflicts of the past .

Apart from inheriting an iconic brand, the team have also inherited a host of challenges that they realized would take time to achieve proper resolution. A clear challenge has been in the area of brand protection, where a legacy of legal issues exist with both legitimate companies in the industry infringing on iconic trademarks and with illegitimate entities attempting to counterfeit, ‘knock-off’ and pretend to be Gibson in the market.

Over the past eight months, the team have successfully dealt with over 4,500 counterfeit and ‘knock-off’ guitars coming from overseas that were clearly designed to confuse the consumer into thinking they were buying a real Gibson . Since November (2018), there have been dozens of counterfeit website ‘take-downs,’ also designed to confuse the guitarist into thinking they were entering a legitimate, official website. On a weekly basis, Gibson receives multiple queries and concerns from guitarists mislead into purchasing what they thought was a genuine Gibson that turned out to be counterfeit. Unfortunately, this is a very real dynamic that brands, like Gibson and other iconic brands, need to deal with on a regular basis. The main area of brand protection on these types of issues is with trademark ownership, understanding, and assertion. Hence our recent attempts to communicate our position, which was predominantly focused on these rogue overseas players in the market. If left unchecked, these situations can lead to continued consumer confusion and can ultimately affect the integrity of an entire industry .
    Recently, there has been a wide spectrum of both support and criticism with the approach that has been taken by Gibson in the market regarding brand protection. While there are clear lessons to be learned around tone and legal explanations, the past few weeks have provided a ‘real time’ opportunity for Gibson to start making the pivot from less legal leverage to more industry collaboration , with appropriate levels of awareness.

With regards to other guitar brands and companies in the marketplace, Gibson has filed specific lawsuits over the past several years with the intention of protecting its originaltrademark(s) rights and to avoid consumer confusion in the market . All of the recent attention on the few lawsuits in process stem from several years of legal action initiated well before the new leadership arrived in November of 2018 . With specific regards to the inherited and ongoing legal dynamic with Dean Guitars, the new Gibsonteam have made several attempts to communicate with them directly to avoid a prolonged legal battle . Gibson has genuine intentions of constructive resolutionthat could be beneficial to both sides.

This recent situation has led the team to re-evaluate their approach going forward with the intention of finding more constructive solutions to managing brand protection in the industry . Over the past few weeks Gibson has made significant progress inreducing counterfeit ‘attacks’ and they have entered into creative collaboration agreements with key boutique guitar makers and other related industry parties . A clear indication of their intentions going forward.

“I am proud of the progress we have made with our attention to quality, with the launch of the new collections, and with our renewed engagement to our Gibson authorized dealer base. At the same time, we acknowledge there are still legacy challenges to solve going forward, especially around brand protection and market solutions,” says James ‘JC’ Curleigh , the new President and CEO of Gibson . “It is time to make the modern-day shift from confrontation towards collaboration, whilst still protecting our brands, and we are committed to making this happen starting now”.

###

For Gibson , contact:

Libby Coffey
    PRIME PR GROUP, INC.
    E: LCoffey@primeprgroup.com

PaulCISSA, MattZilla, design and 2 others like this.
  2. Gibson may have "a clear focus on quality" but still has a very negative perception in that area that they aren't helping with this 40 years late "brand protection" mess they've promoted.

lizardking837, The Owl, Ronzo and 4 others like this.
  3. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Nice copy written for Gibson,,,by Gibson. They just don't get it. The hedge hoggers that took over want to bleed the boutique builders and anyone that carved a similar headstock??? I get it for the Chinese counterfeiters. Are they going after Heritage guitars who clearly use Les Paul shapes and ES-335 and ES-345 shapes, and by the way make a clearly superior product?

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Funniest post of the day!

design and wmhill like this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I understand that fake chinese guitars that say 'Gibson' on them is a problem they should be trying to go after and fix.

But really, who's buying a Dean guitar and then calling Gibson saying they thought they were buying a Gibson?

6. ScottsTheLimit

ScottsTheLimit SUSPENDED

Sep 3, 2018
    I have over 100 basses.

One is a Gibson SG Supreme Fireburst. It's pretty.

[​IMG]

That is the last and ONLY Gibson I will EVER own.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    MarkJC8, ryco, scjurgen and 12 others like this.
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if Gibson went nuts reissuing true repros of all their mudbuck'd basses I might forgive them.

lizardking837, mrb327 and giacomobass like this.
  8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I don’t know what you mean by that.

9. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    8 paragraphs, says nothing at all. Time to Scaramucci the brand’s new leadership.

The only thing I can give them credit for is learning a new ******** weasel-word expression: “ongoing legal dynamic”.

EWH, ICM, The Owl and 9 others like this.
  10. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    What did Agnesi do?

11. ScottsTheLimit

ScottsTheLimit SUSPENDED

Sep 3, 2018
    [​IMG]

Does anybody get a creepy Adam Curry vibe from this dou...whoops I mean dude? ???!?!?!???!!!????!?!?!??!!

Remember when Adam Curry was on MTV back in the day with his shoulder pads and coiffed 'do but 5 minutes later when Headbanger's Ball would start all he would do was put on a cheezy leather jacket to somehow seem "cool" yet it looked completely out of place and...dare I say...INAUTHENTIC???????

[​IMG]
    "Up next, it's Frankie Goes To Hollywood!"

[​IMG]
    "Up next, it's War Ensemble from Slayer!!"

[​IMG]
    "Up next, Dad bought a Hot Topic jacket!!"

:)

12. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I'm sure we all figured something like this was coming sooner or later...wish I had a GIF of a guy going backwards on a bicycle...:roflmao:

I - like many who have posted - have no issue with Gibson going after real counterfeiters (Chinese or otherwise) who are producing copies that actually say "Gibson" on the headstock.

But I DO have a problem with them going after the likes of Dean, Luna, and whoever else they might be thinking of going after, who have been producing instruments that, yeah, definitely have been influenced by some of Gibson's designs, but clearly have their own company name on the headstock.

Quite frankly, even if it's a dead ringer for a Les Paul or whatever, as long as the company isn't claiming to be Gibson, I don't have a problem with it.

I think Gibson's time, money, and energy could be better spent getting back to making instruments that people want to buy, and that probably starts with getting a better grip on qulaity control which, as I understand it, is sorely lacking with them these days.

And not that they build any basses that I am particularly enamoured of anyways, but even if they released a model tomorrow that piqued my interest, I'd take a pass, because the way they conduct themselves makes me sick. :vomit:

13. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2006
    This thread probably belongs in 'miscellaneous'...

lizardking837 likes this.
  14. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Yes, I see what you mean but what did he do that made the OP say debacle?

15. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Lousy tone will get you every time...

16. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    They also seem to forget that the only people who buy their overpriced average quality products are educated professionals, who may or may not be great musicians, but can definitely see through their ******** news release, and probably won’t appreciate having their intelligence insulted like this.

17. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Maybe because it's not so much a 'bass' brand', and so this hasn't really been mentioned here on TB (or if it has, then I've missed it), but I wasn't aware there was such a big problem of fake sites pretending to be Gibson that people were buying from.
    I can certainly see Gibson hunting those down with a vengeance.

18. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    I love my Gibson SG bass. If I were Gibson I would try to protect my interests too. I seem to be in the minority here. Hit me. Hit me.

19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Some people seems to enjoy bashing Gibson, MF and GC. I love my Gibson guitars and doing business with MF and GC.

20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I will never own a Gibson.