gift from my lady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Jan 6, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    i gave her an awsome engagement ring in oct (on the 31st:D)
    now, tradition has it where as she then buys me a watch... now guys i don't need another watch, i'm always on time..... sooo...she offered to buy a bass. i have two in mind, either an FNA Jazzman 5er or the new KSD5 (smith).
    this is the catch, she wants it to be engreved or something:confused:, so my question is where to put such an engraving on either a warwick or a smith jazz bass?
    it's going to say something to the effect of-
    "love always, jen" etc etc bla bla bla.
    i'm not against it at all, but??????

what do you guys think?
    where to put it?
    what should it say?
    or stick with the watch, either way i will own these basses in time?
  2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    man thats a toughy. I'd say the back of the headstock or in the vicinity of the back control plate. I just couldn't picture it on the front of the bass. Kinda like having pics of loved ones inside the car on the dash.

3. I would go to a store that sells plaques and such. Take the truss rod cover from your bass to them and have them recreate it in brass, then have them engrave whatever your fiance wants her gift to you to say. Pop that on the bass and viola. This would also allow you to get rid of the bass and still keep the memento if that ever was an issue.

Just an idea.
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    two good ideas.

the headstock thing sounds ok, maybe engrave some sort of metal plate and attach it somehow?

good start!!!

thx bro
  5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    another good idea! i didn't think of that... hmmmmmm not too bad!
  6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    what you could do is get your pot covers and on each having a letter sayin I (heart) x
    and x is her name
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I think something on the back of the headstock is a good idea. Initials and a date?

My wife and I did the same thing. I "bought" her a ring, and she "bought" me a Kay URB. No engraving though.

Oh yeah, don't even think about ever trading it away! JMHO.

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

i know i know...:meh:
  9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Here's the easy route-Have her change her name to "Warwick" or "Ken Smith Design".

I guess if it had a neckplate you could do it on there...
  10. I would do it on the back of the control plate. I saw this on a bass once. Black control plate with gold lettering and it was quite nice.
  11. i would think it really cool if it said something in the inlay, like at the twelfth fret or something nice on the back of the body would be cool, but after reading the other posts, i like the idea of something on the back of the headstock
  12. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    saaay, does your fiancee have a 22 year old daughter or sister(depending on her age)? ;)

I'd poop my pants if I had a girlfriend that gave me an "engagement bass" instead of a watch. You're one lucky SOB with a great thoughtful woman. \m/
  13. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    That's cool. Maybe you could get it on the truss rod cover or something like that, neckplate, etc..
  14. have it engraved, and put in on the twelth fret.

as for what to have said, no clue
  15. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I'd say do a nice, small inlay on the neck. It'll probably cost you a little more, but think of it this way: you bought the engagement ring in part for other people to see. What good is an engagement gift if others cant see it?

Just IMO, but i'd put it in front, on the neck. :D

let us know what you decide.
  16. There is an actual option for this in Warwick...(Trussrod cover). It is there instead of the bass name.
  17. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

cool. I'm thinkin on getting "brake" on the truss rod cover for my upcoming custom job. Tacky or no?

ps - it's my last name & what 90% of people call me
  18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Oh, yeah...don't ever make that mistake like I did. Ours weren't exactly engagement presents though, but before we got married I bought here a nice ring, and she bought me an acoustic bass. She got pissed when she found out I sold it off. :eek:
  19. When I got engaged, my wife wanted a tanning bed. Ok, no problem. Found a decent-priced used one in Houston (we're in New Orleans), so we drove there to pick it up (and played at Astroworld/Waterworld while there). In return, she got me my BSX EUB, which I used live ONCE--I played and sang "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby" at our wedding.

Now, it pretty much just sat around for the last 3 years, as I never did get accustomed to it. So the question naturally came up: do I sell it, to get cash for something more useful, or do I keep it as a treasured memento?

Seeing as my wife hasn't used the tanning bed in 3 years, the question was easily answered...:)

Long story, short: do the engraved truss-rod cover.