Gift suggestions for three month old niece

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lesfleanut, Dec 16, 2005.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I need some help here, first time uncle buying a gift for a three month old girl. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood 50USD. I don't know weather a toy is a good idea, or something practical that maybe mom and dad will enjoy more than baby. I think mom and dad will already be enjoying the DVD burner I bought them though...

Thanks in advance for any help, happy holidays to all!
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If she's 3 months old I would definately look into buying an outfit. As the months go buy she'll be growing out of those faster than you can imagine.
  3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.

I would do that, but heres the thing... My sister (mom) gave 150 bucks to a friend for ALL of the baby clothes from her three year old twins, needless to say she has more clothes than will ever need up till she turns three.
  4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    How about a "Baby's 1st Christmas" bear from Vermont Teddy Bear.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    At three months they're not really doing much, and can't crawl yet. Many babies don't even like toys at that age yet. A baby mirror or lay-down activity center (they lay back and kick and swat at colorful hanging things) is about all I could recommend, other than diapers and forumla.

If they don't have a reclinable vibrating infant chair, that'd be a good bet. It gives you a place to sit them wherever you go (they're pretty portable), and they can recline to help put them to sleep.
  6. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Unfortunately I won't have the time for online gifts, as I am a poor, poor man and will have to wait for next Friday to get anything for her (last person on my list). I wish I had gotten that bear, would have made an excellent gift. :( Thank you for the suggestion nonetheless, buzz.

I'll look into that suggestion Bryan, thank you. Anyone else have any other good ones? I'm in a fair sized city with access to a Babies R Us/Toys R Us and Walmart.

PS - Any other young folks out there feeling the pain of the first big spending Christmas? I'm 700 bucks in the hole so far, with nothing in the bank left. At 21 years old I feel that's not where I wanna be at this point, christ that's more than two weeks pay at my crap job. I think next year I'll take the seven-hundo and take a mysterious Vegas vacation around the end of December. :D
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If you really can't think of something that they may need/want for her, get them a Walmart gift certificate for her. Then they can get whatever at their leisure.
  8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.

Also a great idea, may be the way to go if this topic and my searching next friday turn nothing up. Thank you. :)
  9. I've got an almost 6 month old. He doesn't need anything else that we can't get like formula, diapers etc. But parents even of their first child already have diapers and formula that they like - and you don't know what that is, so inevitably you'd pick the wrong stuff.

I think you should start a savings account for the kids education. ING or something with a high interest rate, and no fees.
  10. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    +1 yeah i know the feeling,how about getting a 50.or 100. dollar savings bond,this will grow right along with her,best of the holidays to all :)
  11. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    How do I go about that?
  12. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    go to local bank branch and tell them what you want to do,they'll lookafter you,good luck :)
  13. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    What is the turn around on those things? I mean how much growth am I looking at over time.
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Well, she's 3 months old, so she doesn't care what you get her. If I were you, I'd probably buy her a Sadowsky and hold it for her until she's 21.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I got my niece a printed and framed copy of Kaj Stenvalls duck paintings, similar to this:

Perhaps you could find something similar at the nearest "print gallery".
  16. Be ahead of the times!

Don't buy baby things, EVERYONE showers a new babe in clothing etc. and chances are they'll get so many baby clothes, that most of them will only get worn a handful of times before they outgrow it. They grow so fast!
    Buy a new outfit for when they're 2 or 3, when their growing slows down a bit - that way you're guaraunteed it will be worn a lot, and also cos most kids don't seem to get showered in gifts when they're just a little bit older.
    (sorry - my value-for-bucks-parent-gene coming out)
  17. DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    ok my friend this is what i recommend........
    get diapers for the baby........babysit for them(parents) for one night so they can go out and have a good time.
    and since you are in Syracuse get them a gift cert. so they can got to DINOSAUR BBQ .
  18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

This is the best gift you could give her. She'll really thank you for it in the future. Think about how expensive things are now, just think how much more expensive they'll be when she's older.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Buy the kid childrens books.

My sister had a very premature baby last March, and while they've received a ton of stuffed animals, toys and outfits, their number one favorite gift for the past 9 months has been books. The 6+ months the baby was in intensive care they read to the little bean every day for hours. Now that he's home, they're still reading to the guy all parents should.

Go pick out several of the books that were most beloved to YOU when you were a child...they'll be appreciated along with the thought that went into why you picked them.

BTW, Do I know you?