Gig at the 7-11

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RedV, Sep 18, 2002.

1. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Ok, so I didn't play bass at this 'gig', but, well..sue me:p

What happened was, my band was recording today(till about 10pm) and decided when we finished we would go get Slurpees. Cool.

We get our Slurpees, down a couple smokes, and start free style rapping to customers(we're actually pretty good at this):)

This was much fun in it's own right, but I just HAPPENED to have an acoustic guitar in the car, so you can imagine what happened next.

My bandmate and I ended up playing for a good 2 hours outside the 7-11 to, at the largest, about 20-25 people, not to mention those that came and went. We ran through a ton of originals and a few spoof covers of boy band songs:D.

It was a BLAST; everyone loved it...we got 'you guys are good', 'you rocked', 'could you play that last one AGAIN', and 'YOU'RE CUTE'. No joke. Walked away without about 4 numbers from hotties. Ahhh, being the 'lead singer' DOES have it's benefits.

All in all we had a GREAT time, and I think we're gonna go back and do it again next Tuesday.

Well, just wanted to share my impromptu gig experience at the 7-11.

2. I had a similiar situation like this a few weeks ago, but it wasnt impromptu. My band was hired to play in the parking lot at a Blimpies. Our guitarist works there and he talked his boss into letting us play a promo in front of the store. We got $200 + a cut of the money they made. The best part was we were playing right in front of an intersection at a crowded street, so when everyone stopped at the light, they would sit there and listen to us. We had a lot of people headbanging in their cars, and a couple people shouted at us after we had finished a song. Not that many people actually stopped to listen to us though, but we still got a ton of exposure, and we had our website address on a banner out front, so hopefully people will be checking us out.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    *cough*FAT LIP*cough cough* :D

Doesn't this sound like loitering on private property? 7-11 can call the cops on you. I would advise on keeping the steady bar gigs and not go extrovert your selves at the expensive of possible criminal prosecution.
  5. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    No no...this was BECAUSE of the 7-11 guys. We were just drinking our slurpees outside smoking a cigarette, and basically talking to customers. THEY said it would be rad if we played....we just so happened to have a guitar in the truck:)

It was rad. It was weird. It was totally unexpected.

And don't EVER compare us to Sum41...acckkkk...I'll be forced to send small children armed with water wings over to your house to taunt you:D

6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, that reminds me of something I did at uni last year... The house I was living in was on a main road and our lounge was above a shop - and the lounge window opened up onto the roof of the shop. So one saturday night we were having a bit of a jam (I was playing my 12-string acoustic guitar and leading the singing), and someone had the bright idea of going out onto the roof and playing & singing to the passers by (a la Beatles rooftop gig)...

Several hours and several renditions of various Beatles songs, Oasis songs, and various other assorted rock and pop (I think "Baby One More Time" made it in there somehow) later, having amassed quite an audience (complete with requests), we noticed someone on the roof of the house over the road getting out a phone and threatening to use it (well, it was approaching 3am!), so we went inside.

And what did we gain from this? About £3.60, a 25ml shot measurer, and a warning from the landlord...

Ah well, it was a laugh.
  7. I just did something like that a couple of days ago, but it was at work. A band moved here from Hawaii, and they wanted to check out the local stores. They were in, gawking at our stuff, when the drummer sits down. I had ben talkign to him, and the set he was at was right next to a Stringray plugged into a GK. So I pick it up, and start a nice little jazz line. He picks it up right away, and starts following/leading. (You had to be there) Then some random dude came up with a guitar and plugged in. It was a lot of fun, had most of the customers over watching us, and got invited to cover in their band if the bass player can't make it!!

I also got in trouble with my boss for not selling things.:(

Rock on
  8. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    lol Eric. Whatever, you had more fun than if you'd have sold a pack of strings and a handful of guitar picks:rolleyes: Dumb bosses:)

9. How old do you have to be to get a job at guitar center? Just curious-looking for a steady job right now.
  10. How old do u have to be to work in the guitar center?