Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig Bag Choices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tapp, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Does anybody use a double gig bag (for 2 basses) for local gigs and such? It would be cool to have my Pedulla fretless and Jazz bass in one bag to tote. Any recommendations on brands and where to get them? I've seen the Fender double bag and was not impressed with the padding/safety of it.

I've heard both the Levy and Undercover are good bags. Anyone use Reunion Blues (or know where to get one?).

thanks for info!

Tapp

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use a reunion blues double bag (I've got one for my DB bow, but that's another story). Very good padding, it's been around the world a few times by now, and begining to show wear, but still holding up.

I bought it direct from the company.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I bought a double gigbag off ebay a while back. It was the Fender. I didn't have any issues with the padding. I thought it was padded well actually.

After using a few times, I found that just because I was going to rehearsal or a local show, it didn't decrease the chances of it getting banged into a doorway, or stepped on. I never was really comfortable sitting it on the ground and even less comfortable proping it against something. I know there are many who love the weight and comfort of the GB, but I would much rather deal with the cases.

But, if you want a gig bag, there's nothing wrong with the Fender, IMO.

Chas

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Go with the Undercover. I've got a double, and it's easily the best I've seen. Not cheap, but worth it.

It just so happens that I also sell them at my day gig :)

www.basscentral.com

Click on the accessories page, and scroll down, you'll see a photo of them. We're out of stock on them right now, but are expecting a shipment of them in a couple weeks.

As for the Reunion Blues bag, it's nice, but even more expensive than the undercover. Not to mention the fact that getting one is next to impossible, because they're not making any right now.

No offense Chasarms, but the Fender bag shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the Reunion Blues or Undercover ones. That's like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes: Both will get you where you're going, but one is more comfortable and much safer.

5. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Thanks everyone for the replies and information! Gard, have you compared the Levy bag with the Undercover? I've seen some Levy bags and they seem well made and a little cheaper than the Undercover; but if the Undercover is that much better then I'm willing to spend an extra $20 for it.

thanks,

Tapp

6. I can vouch for the Undercover bag, too. I got one off Bass Central. :D

I'll admit, I was a little skeptical to begin with, and when zipping it up with my Ibanez & Spector in it it felt like it was going to rip like my other 2 Levy's single gigbags...but it held up, and has even held up to common room abuse, and that's a lot of abuse. :p

Plus, it's got plenty of pocket space, too. I keep a set of small screwdrivers, a wire cutter, tuner and allen wrenches in the top "small" pocket, and 3 cables & 2 spare sets of strings in the main, "big" pocket.

Now all I need is a bigger screw driver for quick strap button tightening etc. and a better wire cutter. :p