Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig Bag For I-AMP 800??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pitbill, Jan 31, 2004.

1. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Anyone know of a gig bag or soft case for the I-amp 800 other than the regular rack style cases/bags? I'd like to use this without having the rack ears installed and make things a little more compact without having to use the seemingly awkward looking SKB case I've got it in now. Or does anyone have any suggestions of companies that could custom make one of these? I think there's a similar thread like this right now, but I didn't want to hijack it with this particular question.

2. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Rockbag by Warwick. I'm not sure if they make a smaller version other than the standard 19" rack. But if you
    checkout one of these bags you might like it. I have one and
    I'm thinking about buying an i amp 800. I take it you like yours? What cabinets are you using with it? Can it handle a very large room? I like the Demeter HPB-1 and I need something smaller because, the HBP-1 is part of my rack which is very large. On basstasters.com the two sound similar.
    If you have any input on this I would very much appreciate it

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Mine will be here tomorrow... I will let you know how it fits with my newly acquired Rockbag which needed some touching up with some contact cement (scratch and dent from MF). I will also post initial thoughts... You could have asked in my other thread BTW. I wouldn't have minded. ;)

4. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Thanks Big Joe, you're gonna really like that when it gets there tomorrow. Maestro, I'm using a pair of EA VL-208 cabinets and couldn't be happier for their compact size compared to sound. With a little more efficient set of cabinets like a pair of EA CXL112's or their new 210's you shouldn't have any problems filling any venue you might ever encounter, but don't worry too much about taking my 208's to a medium/large gig. Any larger than an average size room and I'm going dierect to PA anyways, so I really don't want to carry anything larger. I do highly recommend the iamp-800 to anyone interested.

5. If you don't mind a 3-space rack, odyssey has some that are shallower than the usual rack bags or cases. I think you can get them at Musician's Fiend or any other big store.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am on a similar quest. Sure, the 2-spack rack bags will do the trick, but I was looking for something like the gig back for my Mesa Boogie Walkabout. And I also agree about wanting to leave the rack ears/handles off, as it will look better atop narrower cabs. But then, how to you carry the iAMP 800? No handle!

For most of my EA cabs, I have been able to pick up covers directly from EA. But when I asked about a cover for my CX-310, John told me that they never made them, but that he knew that another CX-310 player had had one made by Under Cover. So, I contacted them, and sure enough, they still had the plans, and made me a very excellent cover that fit perfectly, and had cutouts in all the right places. I have talked to them about making a custom gig bag for me, and they would be happy to do it. Unfortunately, I became sidetracked (probably by another gear purchase!), and I never did follow through on my order. However, if multiple iAMP 800 users went together on an order, we may be able to get a better deal, although I never did get to the point of discussing prices.

Here is their web address:http://www.undercovernyc.com/

Again, I am very pleased with my cover, and their prices are more than reasonable. Most of my discussions were with Kelli. Here is her e-mail address: kelli@undercovernyc.com.

I would be interested in picking up a gig bag, and even negotiating the deal, if other people are interested.

Tom.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I use a US Luggage bag, the model is the "Ballistic Nylon Portfolio w/ Large Computer Pocket". It's designed to be a business case with a pocket for a large laptop. The iAmp as you see, fits nicely in there and the big plus with this bag is all of the compartments and pockets that you can put stuff in. I paid 39.95 on sale at ebags.com.

[​IMG]

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That looks to be another good option. Thanks for sharing, Phil! Does that bag have any padding? How secure is the amp in there? Does it move around at all?

Tom.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

i love mine. and the bag comes off, so the rack looks nice and neat.

10. I realize that you are looking for a bag, however I have a rack bag from Club Bass ( www.clubbass.ca ) that is custom sized to the iAMP 800. It is very compact and still has enough room on the sides for venting/airflow. It fits very well on top of my CXL112 setup.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It fits pretty snug and protected in there, because it goes in the space that is supposed to be used for a laptop and it just fits. Because it just fits, it can be a little tricky at times getting your hands in there to pull it out since the amp doesn't really have anything to grab, like front handles.

I used this bag to transport my iAmp350 on a number of gigs this summer that I did outdoors. To keep the sun off of the amp, I used the bag to cover the amp so the sun wouldn't heat it up and it worked quite well for that too.

12. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    :hyper: I just spoke with Larry Ullman of Euphonic Audio in reference to a bag for the i Amp800. He informed me that a bag for this unit will be available next week. It is currently available for the iAmp500. From what I understand the bag is for carrying the unit. For setup you simply remove the unit from the bag.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That is interesting. Perhaps they changed their tune. Shortly before I picked up my iAMP 800, I had discussions with John Dong, who said that yes, they will have a gig bag coming out for the iAMP 800. I said, "Great! Send me one!" Then, he e-mailed me back, saying that they decided against making one, since most people were just throwing them in 2-space rack bags. Needless to say, I let him know my opinion, and it's nice to see that they have finally bowed to my will! :p

I guess I'll have to contact John and get back on the list!

14. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Thanks guys, these are great ideas. I think I'll stand with Tombowlus and contact EA about one of those bags they may be coming out with. I know the covers for their cabs are pretty top notch, so I'm curious to see one of these. Although that computer bag is a pretty cool idea.

15. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I emailed club bass about that bag 6 months ago and they wouldn't sell it to me because I'm in the U.S. :(

16. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Next week Fellows... :rolleyes:

Like the Blindman said "We shall see" :cool:

17. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Yup! Maestro's right! I got the word from Larry at EA as well...next week! :hyper:

18. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Hey! Here's the pic Larry from EA sent me. This one is for 500 , so I guess the the 800 should like this, but...I guess will be a little larger.

[​IMG]

19. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    That's cool but, I may very well stick with my 2 spcae Rockbag from Warwick. It's ready to go just unzip the front and rear panel, then make your connection...Batta Boom Batta Bing. It may also offer more protaction with it's plywood inner shell. :confused: More than likely I'll get one anyway.

20. That's a drag, must be a distribution issue. The bags are made by Modern Case Company in the US.