Gig bag or Case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Hard shell case. Sometimes I don't have to tune my StingRay for a month because the tuners don't move inside a hard case. They would in a gig bag.

Plus, my $1,150 investment is MUCH safer inside a hard shell.
  2. I don't think I know anyone who regularly gigs that uses a hard case. I am lucky enough to own a couple of the amazing, wonderful InCase Slim Bags.... an amazing combination of hard case and gig bag. However, there are a number of other high quality gig bags that have significant padding and will keep even a high end instrument safe.

That being said, I also have hard cases for all my instruments in case I have to through them in a van or truck for a road gig. But... 95% of the time... gig bag all the way. Just get a good one and you will be fine.
  3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    That's your choice.

What a country, eh?
  4. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Abuse the case, not the bass. And yes, I gig with it. With all that other gear that can bang into it, I won't trust anything else.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gig bag. If I was letting a road crew carry my stuff, I'd use a case. But I don't so I use a gig bag. Lugging a case around is a huge pain compared to a gig bag. And unless you're really clumsy, a good gig bag offers plenty of protection.
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Ok this comming from a player thats been around the block a few times!lol gig bag(really nice gig bag with lots of support) for lets say practice. But dont ever take youre bass intoa bar without a hard shell. I had a drunk turd spill his beer in or on my gig bag one time and i had to kill him! lol just depnd on were you are taking it i guess! But when i say gig bag i mean a really nice gig bag! If you dont spend a hundred bucks then its probably not good enough!
  7. Wow! :eek:

Bags are good if you need to carry long distances. That's about it.

6 years ago I stashed a brand new (free with new bass) gig bag during a house move - I rediscovered it last week after totally forgetting about it all this time. It's got a date with eBay!

- Hard cases have more storage
    - they stand up on their own while you open car doors, shake hands, pick nose etc
    - they protect from damage/spills etc
    - you can lean them against a wall and not strain the neck
    - you can use them as tables
    - you can stack them in your car and...

Plus, no matter how careful YOU are, there's no accounting for strangers, drunk punters, fast moving hard objects etc etc. And you can't always be standing there babying your bass. If you've gotta leave it in a green room or backstage - even for a second - it's peace of mind to have it in a hard case.

:eek: :eek: Wow x10!! Think of the hard case you could get for hundreds of bucks! Titanium, helium filled, hermetically sealed with inline skate wheels and a cigarette lighter! :eek:
  8. when the one time happens that you or someone around you get's clumsy, your bass takes it in the shorts.

Hard case.
  9. Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    I've never used a case for years since I like the ease of a gig bag strapped to my shoulder. Depends on what you need. Taking your bass to the gig, use a gig bag.
  10. SoundDragon

Sep 16, 2005
    Aloha, Oregon
    I have a gig bag, and the rest of my bassi are in hardshell cases.

With the hardshells, I have no worries about large objects accidently snapping the neck. The cases are all scuffed up and show what they have been through in dark bars, in and out of cars, reaching for the stars.

The gig bag is nice since I can sling it over my shoulder and have my hands free for talking. The gig bag usually contains the acoustic bass, which is more fragile. I always give it a plunk to make sure that neck is not snapped or something.

The gig bag is light weight, but offers almost no protection from the elements.
  11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I travel alone to gigs and I carry my own bass, always. Bag is fine for my investments. If I were loading into the Band Van and/or counting on others to handle my basses then a case would be more appropriate.
  12. All depending on how you're moving, where...
    Gigbag can be really easier to move!
    For my Fender Jazz, I have a tweed case, very good but hard to move!
    For my F Bass, I have a Levis gig bag, very well padded, easy to carry and really good to protect the bass....

13. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    When I drive: Gigbag in the passenger seat.
    When I walk: Gigbag
    When its the drummers packed van: Hardshell
    I'll never put my basses in the band trailer.

I've been using mostly gigbags for 15 years of gigging, and as long as you have a good, padded one, and use your noodle, you're fine. I've never had a bass break because it was in a bag.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    hasn't happened in 30 years, and that includes flying.
  15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Case for me. Better protection, don't really notice the weight... and I find it a lot easier to get a bass in and out of a hard case than a gig bag.
  16. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Me, too!!! :hyper:

However... my Thumb-5 NT stays in the hardshell... 'cuz I feel better 'bout 'dat! Why? 'Cuz she took more of my bucks... 'das why!!! ;)
  17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I haven't used a case in years a gig bag is the way to go.
  18. +1
  19. junerig

Sep 12, 2005
    Both!It's hard to ride your bike with the case and it's madness to travel on public transport without.