Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig bag recomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jan 18, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I am looking for a gig bag that'll protect my bass well when I drag it around. What are some good brands of gig bags? I'll be looking for one used and worn one so as to be non descript as possible. Nothing with giant "Fender" logos that would give a hint to what might be inside.

2. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've got a warwick bag that I like a lot, even though I don't have a warwick. It's got some very nice padding on it, and quite a bit of room in outside pockets for anything else you'd want to throw in there.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I got a Warwick gigbag with my Corvette, and my teacher has one too, even though he usues Fenders. It is quite good, good padding, thermo-insulated (yep my teacher said it worked well - he once used it to keep the beer cold on a hot summer gig :D ), some soft plastic at the headstock and bridge to protect the padding from sharp metal parts of the bass, lotsa pockets, confortable shoulder straps and little "legs" at the bottom to prevent the bass from rolling/sliding over when standing and falling on its side (if you get what i mean).
    Drawback is that it is heavy and sometimes tends to fold in two under its own weight and (at least my version) had the shoulder straps a bit low, so the bass is quite high, about 5-10 cms over my head (add that i am quite tall, too, so it is very easy to bang it against things)
    Good bag, but it looks kinda good, and classy, so if you want to hide something in it or make it look cheap and not-worth-it-to-steal-it, it may be not that...;) , but otherwise, i recommend it

4. Those Tribal Planet "bags" look very nice (and very expensive).

I've heard the G&L gigbags are darn good if you're willing to pay around 70 for one. It has a G&L logo, though. To me almost any padded gig bag will do. Most get the job done.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    One of the best ever made - Undercover. I've had a lot of bags. I'll put ANY of my basses into one of these. Right now I'm using one of their doubles as my main bag. I had/have a single that I bought almost 20 years ago and its still holding up. You can get these at BassCentral.
    Absolutely top shelf - not cheap, but you can throw your Alembic custom in here with a clear concience. I do.

6. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    My advice, don't get a gig bag. Sure, its lighter and such, but you might as well wrap a sock around the neck.... Invest a little money and get a hardshell.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Ditto. Very nice bags.
    I also bought a Warwick guitar sized one for my short scale bass.

8. mwharvey

mwharvey Mike Harvey

Nov 16, 2003
    San Diego, Ca.
    Could one of you guys with a Warwick gig bag post the inside dimensions of the gigbag, especially the body section. I have a precision plus, which has a slightly bigger body than the "normal" precision. Thanks.

9. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I would like to recommend Undercover gig bag, It is really really nice, likes bassclef112 said, it is not cheap, but its worth. I have owned a Warwick Rockbag which come with my Warwick Thumb BO6, but the strap is already get damaged within one year. Frankly, I feel happy with this free gig bag for few months, nice inside-padded, but the problem just comes out after those few months. it is terrible.:(

If you are willing to spend money to buy a new one each year. I don't care, but I think Undercover is a Life-long gig bag. :) just my thought.

10. I'll second what BassClef112 and Timothy have said.

UNDERCOVER!!!

You will not find a better gig bag. They're worth every penny, and you won't even need a hard case.

11. I use incase gig bags.
    www.goincase.com

excellent, durable, and really protect your bass. They also have double and backpackless models now
    frank

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

The Warwick site doesn't post dimensions, but here's the site with a general description:

Rockbag by Warwick

(Rockbag is the brand name of the gig bags. Also do Rockstands, etc...all Warwick products.)

13. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    i just picked up THEINCASE, man oh man this thing is sweeeeeet, there are plenty of bags out there, but this thing is so padded, weight is so evenly distributed, and plenty of room, i got the DUB for 2 of my basses...could not have bought a better gig bag for the 200 bucks..i got it from THEGROOVESHOPPE.COM...David is a super nice guy and very very helpful. so if u are in the NYC city area give him a call and pick one up.

14. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Any people have experience with "Reunion Blues" double gig bag? they are expensive and looks good, I knew Victor Wooten got one double gig bag as well. Any comment?

15. do you think my conklin gt7 would fit in the tour model?

16. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    My Dingwall took some body damage due to a relatively short drop while in its Levy's gigbag. Thinking of something like the www.goincase.com Tour Bag. Looks like it may offer a bit more padding. I think my Dingwall may have hit near the zipper where there is less padding and thus the body crack. :(

17. so do you guys think that my conklin groove tools 7 strings would fit in that gig bag the incase tour.? I hope it does im in love with it and I'm about to buy it..