Gig Bag Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Jun 16, 2005.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Looking for recommendations for a good quality but not too pricy gig bag, well padded and large enough to hold a Dingwall or Lakland 5. I currently have a Levy EM8G which I quite like, but I'd like other suggestions. I prefer a cloth fabric feel over a slippery nylon material, and I want something that's adequately padded, especially around the edges of the body (I hate hearing a thud when I put my bass in a gigbag down on a hard surface.

I'd been considering an InCase bag, but they have stopped production.

Other suggestions anyone?
  2. louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    Ritter 30bucks lots of padding and pockets. cant go wrong
  3. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I have a levi's, I also own one of their straps, all there products are great. My bass fell over in that bag, and I didn't bother looking at it seeing what damage was done becuase I knew nothing happend to it. And nothing did happend to it. The only thing is, There cases are puppy dog ate a whole in it.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Warwick makes good gigbags.
  5. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Don't know if they are available in your area, but the "Squadron" bag fits all of your requirements - I really like mine.
  6. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    I have a tobago... I mostly use my case, though, but when I have to take the bass on my back, then it's pretty handy. It's a good bag... Ritter's very good as well. Haven't tried the others.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've got a Mooradian that i bought from Sadowsky that will be getting put to the test this fall. [i bought a double electric bag so i don't have to carry 2 separate electric bags + my upright].
  8. Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Why not just get a hardcase? Safe and reliable. Not cheap, but worth it...usually.
  9. BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    Get a hardcase. You won't be sorry.
  10. Schwalli

May 27, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm with the 2 guys above me on this. Get a hard case. They're a little pricey, but you don't have to worry about anything, and you can lock it it you want.
  11. e-money

Apr 20, 2005
    my problem with hard cases is that they are just to darn heavy. i do like to use one if i have to put my bass in a car trunk or somthing like that, but since i carry my bass around every day between a college jazz band and jamming with friends i love the light weight of my gig bag. i have the bag that comes with G&Ls. i'm not shure if you can get it without the bass but they are great bags.
  12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It's been said before in other threads, but I actually prefer a gig bag when transporting a bass to a gig. It's lighter and easily slings over your shoulder. Now, if the bass were to travel in the back of a cargo van, I'd definitely want a hard case. But, if I'm driving myself to a gig, a bag is a better option. Not only is it lighter, they tend to have more pockets for storing stuff than a hardcase, and they don't take up as much space. I can just fold mine behind my amp on stage. Whereas, a hard case will either take up space on the stage or require me to run back to my car to store it during a show.

Anyway, the Warwick gig bag is nice but it won't fit a Lakland. The headstock & tuners will stick out a little, and it's real tight at the lower bout. I'm on the lookout for a good gigbag for one too.

Anyone have any experience with the Gigskinz or top of the line Ritter bags?
  13. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I recently bought an MTD Kingston 5 and I got the MTD gig bag. I am thoroughly impressed with it (actually with both). I don't know who makes the bags for MTD, but you should definitely check them out. $99 retail, and you don't have to pay retail. Lots of padding, especially behind the long zipper. Also, it fits the 35" scale. One large pocket, one smaller.
  14. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Levi's gig bags are the bomb! :D
    All my basses have either their own case or gig bag, I have a levi's gig bag that I use to take the basses out to gig with! I put them back in their case or bag when I get back home.
  15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    After my InCase Dub was ripped off I got a Gator Double Electric Slinger ..... while it's not as good as the InCase, I'm very pleased with it .....

There are 2 6's in the bag, both 35" scale ...... not sure about the measurements on the Dingwall, though ..........
  16. my Dingwall afterburners are smaller than a standard Fender Jazz bass. I suspect as long as there is room for the body then the length should be fine.
    I went out and bought incase gig bags for my Dingwalls, but your right incase is going thru some reorganization
    Sheldon used to ship his bass in Gator semi-hard cases they were an inbetween soft/hard case. pretty decent
  17. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Anyone have experience with the new Carvin gig bags, and what they are comparable to?
  18. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I like the summit bags. The whole 'spine' thing is cool.
  19. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  20. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I used to think my incase slim was the best bag, but I recently got an undercover double gig bag & its really nice. Very well made, & the backpack straps are much more comfortable than the incase.