1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig bag recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lesterbeat, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Lesterbeat

Lesterbeat

Nov 20, 2011
    Hey fellow Low Men,

I have the excellent Igig gig bag. I also own several Fender and SKB bags.

The Igig is great but it's very heavy and doesn't fit in my car trunk. I like it as an alternative to a hard case, or as a gig bag in a city where you need to walk/subway more.

For me, it's almost overkill putting it in the car for local gigs.

So I'm looking for another gig bag. One that is more protective than the Fender/SKB ones. Those are basically lightly padded bass sleeves. I'd like something between the two.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. I had the iGig for a while and felt the same as you. Well made, but heavy, and actually more of a soft bag (at least the model I had) than a hybrid. Massive pocket space though.

My favorite bag of all time is the current Protec Contego bag (greatly improved from the original). True hybrid (i.e., hard bottom top and sides), plenty of pocket space, nice neck velcro tie down, VERY light weight, small profile, and about half the price or less of most other bags.

My second favorite is the Mono bag, especially the double bag, which is well made and VERY lightweight. However, very small pockets, and very big price tag.

Check out that Contego. Rob Allen and Carey Nordstrand use that bag as their OEM bag (for at least some of their models).

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'll second the Contego.

4. Lesterbeat

Lesterbeat

Nov 20, 2011
    I wonder why I never saw this before. I did a search on Amazon and it didn't come up or I would have grabbed it. Yes, this is perfect. I thought I would love all the pocket space on the igig. But I found that I prefer carrying a strong tote-bag that I can open and see everything in there at once. So now pocket space isn't a big priority.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't have experience with the igig or the contego (I'd buy this if I wanted a gig bag) but the gig bag I got my Dingwall in was probably the nicest gig bag I have ever seen, very thick padding and multiple pockets.

I use pretty much only hard cases these days though.

6. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I have a Monocase M80. I love it.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For around town or flying with the bass on the plane, I have a love affair going with the Mooradian gig bag. One of the top upright bass bag makers for about 30 something years. Their electric bass bags are just as good. Lots of foam around the bass, tons of storage, (three pockets) very light weight, and great padded straps. Oh..and heavy weight zippers.

For a hybrid bag I also like the Contego or the new Access level 3 bags. Well thought out.

8. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    By far, the best gig bag for a reasonable price is the CM19L from Levy's:

CM19L

The best price I've found currently on a new one is $109.00 at the following link:

http://bassclubchicago.bizland.com/store/page39.html

Scroll down just a hair and you'll see it listed, but not pictured. It's the same bag as the more expensive Levy's bags, but uses canvas rather than leather for the main parts of the bag.

9. Lesterbeat

Lesterbeat

Nov 20, 2011
    WOW- I have a Mooradian padded bag that I got in NYC literally 30 years ago. It still is a great bag although the pockets got all ripped up. Note: don't agree to carry the drummer's sticks in your gig bag. I never saw another Mooradian and just assumed they went away. I'll have to look them up.

Thanks!

10. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I like those Attitude bags on Rondo. They're pretty cheap and and really well padded.

11. Mooradian is still going strong. I use their amp bags for my micro's. Nice bass bag, but a typical soft bag versus a hybrid. I like the hybrid bags (especially one as small and compact as the Contego) for the protection it gives. No problem dropping it, throwing it in the van, whatever, and still lighter than some simple padded bags. IMO there.

12. i think they're by ritter. there these really nice, plush padded gig bags. ive been using them for about 6 years. they also have alot of storage space if thats your bag. heres mine. dont ask about my outfit. it was my old work uniform
    DSCI0132.

13. I've used the deluxe RockBag by Warwick and have been very pleased with them. Plenty of padding, a hook-and-loop "neck saver" feature that keeps the bass stable, and plenty of storage. Well under $100.

14. Ps They can get your old Mooradian bag back to looking like new again. I had some padding starting to come out of my old Walter Woods bag, and they said 'send it in' and it came back good as new. That might be a good way to go, since you don't need massive protection for the use you describe.

15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Mono M80. I've got a double bag that I use when I take 2 basses. It's light and very well made.

I also really like my Sadowsky Portabag, but it's not exactly lightweight when compared to the Mono.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
  17. +1

And a third.

I have a RockBag double bag that I use for gigs and it's great, fits a 35" bass and all that.

For a single bass outing, it's the Contego, for doubles it's the RockBag. For 3 basses, I take the 2 of them. I only ever use a hard case if I'm going somewhere where there are several bands playing and we have to leave our stuff out of sight...

18. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    +18 or 19...

The mono m80 double bag won me over with its 'less is more' design.

For singles I use a rockbag or an access hybrid - hard shell with padding all around.

19. If money is not an issue, have a well made leather bag done by Glenn Cronkhite. He is the original founder of Reunion Blues and does them alone now. He can be found online rather easily. I also +1 the Access bags. They are extremely well thought out and very protective and affordable.

20. aviador

aviador

Feb 9, 2008