Gig bag review....!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Aug 9, 2003.

1. I never thought I'd ever review a gig bag, but here we go!

I just bought a new gig bag. It is by a UK comany called tribal-planet. I bought the top of the range model and it cost me 75 USD.

It is well made and looks like it will protect the bass well...thickly padded and with some kind of synthetic stiffening front back and sides. I haven't dropped it from the balcony of my seventh floor flat, but I have no doubt that it will do the job for anything short of touring. The way the bass is held in the bag is well designed. I would even put it in the hold of an airliner (though perhaps not with a Gibson in it! A Fender would survive, though).

But the area in which it deserve a review is that of 'features'. The accessories pockets are large and well designed. The top pocket would even take a small guitar stand. The pockets are made out of some firm, moulded material that gives a fair amount of protection to the contents. But what I really liked were the three little pouches that will velcro themselves happily and securely to the inside of the pockets or the bag itself. These are big enough to hold a tuner, a set of strings, a set of screwdrivers, a SABDDI, or a belt hang sized Sadowsky preamp (though just too small for the Sadowsky DI).

Also, you can actually fold away the shoulder straps /which are chunky and comfortable) into a pouch on the back of the bag and just carry it with the handle, if you like (if you are going to risk it on the plane, for example).

Finally, the bag actually has a built in stand, as well. Why, God knows. Perhaps I'll find a use for it.

Anyway, it's a really good bit of design, and so I decided to sing its praises.
  2. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    any idea where we could take a look at the company? or if they are available around the world and through whom?
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Andy, since you've got a gigbag thread going here, let me add that I recently bought a Warwick RockBag for my FNA (fancy that!).

I've been very impressed with the quality and little details, like an extra pad for the bottom straplock area, a neck tie-down with built-in storage, and lots of other storage. It's one of the mid-grade ones - they apparently have three levels of quality, based on the foam thickness.