Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig bag/soft case preference

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blackreverend, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Hey All,
    Just wondering; I have a Lakie 55-94 that im currently hauling around in a Fender double bag, but im looking to upgrade; what would you reccomend? Im looking for suggestions on gig bags (levy's, Ritter, Fender, etc.) and soft cases (incase, sadowsky, etc)

All help is appreciated.

Blackreverend

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  3. Incase has their new bags coming out on April 1 I believe. Slim and Dub bags.

www.incasemusic.com

4. so is the Estrella bag what you lug those beautiful MTD's around in?

5. I also should mention that reviews of said cases/bags that youve owned would be extremely helpful.

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I have two Kaces Boutique Polyfoam Bass Cases that I got from MusicianFriends.com for my Fender Jazz basses.

Kaces Boutique Polyfoam Bass Case

So far I am very pleased with them. Not quite a hardshell case but stronger then a gig bag. These have backpack straps as well.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned a few bags and the incase bags are the best yet. I have a reunion blues leather bag which is of exceptional quality and looks really good as the leather ages. The levy's bags are excellent also. But you can't go wrong with the slim bag

8. I drag my 55-02 around in a levy's leather bag; not cream of the crop for bags, but no complaints yet.

9. Ive got a Levys (what i would say is) demin gig bag and its perfect for what i need, my bass never stays cased up for more than 30 minutes at a time. Good padding, decent storage (but i never do store anything in it anyway). The only thing with it, it just barely fits my spector 5 string length wise, my P bass is a perfect fit though

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have one of the Gator GL softside cases. I've kept MTD 535s, high-end Ken Smiths and several other nice basses in this case. It fits a 535 perfectly.

I got mine for around $60 at music123.com

11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The two that I use the most and like the most are the Summit BassPack and the Undercover cordura single. I don't know what is up with Summit (still in biz? farmed out?) but those bags are/were indestructible and give massive protection. GC sells a "roadrunner" bag that looks like a Summitt ripoff. Also, the new Summit stuff look like they did a redesign. I have two older ones and they are great bags.

http://www.guitarbackpack.com/Prod_Bass.htm

The Undercover is a really nice "meat and potatos" bag that protects the bass well. Last I knew it was Bass Central with the good prices on them.

Both will handle your typical 35" 5'er with no problem.

I had an Incase Dub that was complete overkill! Excellent bag but by the time I loaded two basses into it I was groaning to carry it.

12. I've tried a couple in my 5-year bass playing time - heres what I've foundwith regards to brands and reliability:

Warwick Rockbag - straps fell/snapped off BOTH my first THEN second bag when I was walking down the street

Ritter - Zip went walking down the street, bass ended up on the floor a few meters behind me...thank god I turned around! (had headphones in)

AAA (or whatever they're called) - pretty good...its holding up

Fender - bought a bass secondhand, guy never really used it...both straps snapped then tied back onto the clips - not great bags

Emex - zip got stuck then bust

Westfield - BEST BAG I'VE EVER HAD! Had it for 2 and a half years now and the straps are still good, the zips haven't died - better than the other $65 Warwick bags I bought (and it cost the same)

Just thought I'd give you some brands to avoid like the plague - Thats all folks...:cool:

13. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
  14. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I actually had zero problems with my Warwick rockbag. I carried my bass in it for over 100 shows and it held up pretty darn good. I actually miss it now.

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I liked the kaces polyfoam cases when i saw them at GC, but the neck area seemed too slim to hold my 5 string neck. do the Bass Lite cases from StewMac have large enough space to secure a 5 string neck properly?

16. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I like the Sadowsky cases -- they're lightweight but protect the bass very well. Only negative is the need to take off the strap on a Sadowsky, due to the large straplock buttons.

Does anyone know who supplies those cases?

17. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I've had a Reunion Blues Leather Gig bag for 20yrs. Been all over the world with it and it's great. I have several Levy's Leather Gig bags, they're much newer but I think they will be around a long time too. Really nice saddle bag sewn into the Levy's. Very well made.

The look of great leather can't be beat. They get better with age as they break in. They're not cheap! Cordura (nylon) will be around when your children have passed away but if you have a really beautiful bass, I think the leather is much classier. IMO of coarse!

If you do gigs that require you to walk around a city, or through airports, gig bag is the way to go.

18. How about a soft case that is contoured like the bass? Something like the Incase bag, but I'm sure there are a few brands that I havent seen yet.

19. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Any one know where can you but an Incase bag?