gig bag suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Been using a levys since 2000. Its time to retire it. Not looking for something expensive. Maybe just go with another levy?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Have you considered carrying 2 basses? The Reunion double and Mono 2-bass are both OK.

3. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have a basic Roadrunner bag and a Warwick bag that I don't use. If you want one, let me know. Just pay for shipping and it's yours. :bassist:

4. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    IMHO no bass should leave one's house without a HSC.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Normally I agree. However, I use a gigbag for flying, so it fits in the overhead compartment.

If there isn't over-head space, and it's a longer flight, the cabin crew will stick it in the "closet" they have for folks bring suit bags that need to hang.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Been gigging without one for years, I've never had a problem.

7. I'm OCD about keeping my gear in good shape so I won't argue too loudly, but I think it also depends on the situation... I've heard travelling with a hard case in places like New York can be tricky. ;) Also, I started doing a little freelance stuff a while back, and an iGig double bag was one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. A good balance of protection, storage and portability. I did quite a bit of research and the iGig won over the Mono, Reunion Blues AND Incase Dub. None of them could touch the iGig in terms of storage... I can fit two basses (obviously) with straps for each, a Hercules mini stand, music/books, my iPad, pens, pencils, snacks... You name it. The front pocket will even fit my Shuttle 6 with room to spare if I need. I can get everything in one trip!

The single bag version may be worth your time to check out. I know it's not the cheapest bag, but it's worth it IMO and I'm sure I'll break down and buy a single eventually. :)

5sg.

8. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Reunion Blues Continental bag.

9. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    I recently bought a Protec Contego PRO PAC case, which features hard case-like interior in a gig bag. It's very nice, lightweight and much tougher than the $40 gig bags you find at most retailers. Here's the item to which I am referring:

PRO TEC Product | Contego PRO PAC Bass Guitar Case

The mfr. price may be a bit high, but I got mine for about $100 with tax at an independent retailer. They carry other bags which are not as spendy on their site as well. Happy shopping!

10. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I said the same thing for years, then I bought a mono gig bag. I trust it more than my HSC.

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    The only thing I would worry about with a gig bag over HSC is the lower strap peg. Drop it too hard and you're jamming the peg into the wood and possibly splitting up the wood. It's a longshot but some people don't think when they drop their gig bag down on the floor on end.

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I've been using my Levy's bag for about four years now, and it still looks brand new. If you're happy with it and what it does, getting another is a good option. If you want something with more options, there are other brands out there.

13. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    I agree with this as well. If I was you I would honestly look into getting a good hard shell case.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I like Levy's, but perhaps my favorite bag is Guardian though I have a hard time finding them.

15. +1. I love my Mono bag! It's the best........I store my Nordy Vj4 in there.......no prolems........I actually had the bag drop about 5 feet with the bass in it.......not a scratch.