Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Gig Bag" toolbox

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, May 4, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just a heads up- Sears has a sale on their "GateMouth" fabric toolbox on Fri-Sat. I seems to go on sale every so often.

Anyway, I picked one up and it's perfect for my needs -- all sorts of little pockets on the inside, and it's just the right size, not too big, not too small - obviously, YMMV.

I am the McGyver Boy Scout in the band -- I just have to carry extra cables, batteries, a soldering iron, etc., as well as my own gear, little effects boxes, and this is useful to me.

[​IMG]

Maybe it will be to you.

Found it on the web, too.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/framework/h...uctsummary.jsp&vertical=SEARS&pid=00940424000

2. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey bob, i've been meaning to ask you, hows your part-time sales job at Sears going? [​IMG]

Just kidding. [​IMG] Thats actually pretty cool.

fisk

3. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I also find myself ending up with fixing all the little practical problems that come up. Is this an experience other bassists have - that you are the one in your band with most practical sense?

I once fixed our car's broken accelerator wire with a guitar string, got us home in the middle of the night. Still pleased with that one...:)

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've been using one exactly like that for a couple of years now. Best gig bag I've ever had, except for the color. Wish they made it in black!

5. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Why is it that it's always the BASS PLAYER who is the responsible one in the band??

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Bob, I was always that person, too, in every single band I was ever in. I was the one who helped out my band, plus not infrequently, other bands playing the same gig with us.

Anyway, I use a large blue Rubbermaid hard tool box and stick up the sides with band stickers. However, this soft-side tool carrier looks pretty nice. It might be lighter, too.

I can padlock my Rubbermaid tool box, though.

I'll just throw this in. The soft-side tool carrier, looks ideal for toting garden tools like spades and trowels, etc.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Well, we ARE usually the most intelligent...

8. or maybe we´re just so bossy... ;)

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Shoelaces work well too.Been there,done that.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do they have that in taupe?

I use a Lands' End Original Lighthouse Attache. Lotsa pockets inside, room for cords, an SM-57 and an SM-58, small tool kit w/soldering iron, stomp box. Another cool one is their small diaper bag, in black, of course.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use a laptop bag. I carry strings, tools, music and even two fold up bass stands in it.

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Went to the local flea market, and got a 100mm shell box for $5. Perfect size, durable, and holds everything I need.

13. I don't have a tool box I carry around, but I DO have a small screwdriver, allen tool, spare batteries, spare strings, and up until one of my cables busted, a spare cable in the front pocket of my gig bag.
    The stupidest thing my guitarist has done so far, and still does, is NEVER bring spare batteries for his Eric Clapton signature Strat, and apparently that thing eats battery juice like candy, so I've spent a lotta money on more batteries, and still have yet to change the battery in my Acoustic/electric or my 5'er!

14. I use one of those too, it usually stays in the car but pretty regularly I do have to pull it out and fix something. Do you guys also find yourself doing an idiot check after the gig and pick up items left behind. Just last night I picked up some music, cables and some piece of drum hardware.

15. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Yep!

The bag I am referring to is the one that I drag along with my bass(es), that has all the routine and a few emergency goodies.

I used to have two, a smaller one with stuff I need for each gig, and a larger one that I kept in the car, with extra emergency stuff, like another mic, cable, speaker cables, etc.

However, that was when I was carrying regular hardsided bass cases and would put the cables, bass straps, etc., in them. Recently I've gone to using one of those Fender 2-bass gig bags -- it works out very well, but space for big straps and two cables is tight -- so I've been able to use this new toolbag to carry a condensed group of emergency goodies, in sealed Glad bags and small cases on the bottom and in the pockets, and toss my straps, cables, etc., in on the top. I've gone this way because sometimes we'll share rides and my van may not be the vehicle we use.

Surely, every band seems to be different -- I've carried old suitcases full of stuff, backpacks, etc. -- all depends on how (ir)responsible the rest of the band is. I even carried a backup pair of drumsticks and a drum key while in one band with a moron drummer. <g>

16. I use a stainless steel briefcase. Keeps my stuff neater than a floppy bag, and makes me feel like James Bond.

17. Or how about Thomas Crown? :D:p

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use a large gym bag with tons of pockets and compartments.

I keep darn near everything known to man in there.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I took a small suitcase, enameled it black, and padded it with green foam. It's really weird looking on the inside. I am also the fix it guy in the band, I use a leatherman wave multi-tool, a Craftsman multi-tool , or a Gerber legend multi-tool. I love those things.

20. a towel? be sure to remember your towel! can´t hitchhike between galaxys without it! :)