1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig Bag Vs. Hard Shell Case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B-Mac, Dec 2, 2017.

1. What's your take on Gig Bags? I hate 'em. In fact I hate 'em so much that sometimes it prevents from buying a bass I have major G.A.S. for and it really bugs me. Sometimes it is to the point where if I can't get a HSC with a matching manufacturer's name it stops me from pulling the trigger. Are you plagued with this?

On a side note, I found a case for the Ibanez Mikro bass that works perfectly for the GSRM20 and GSRM20B. It is Ibanez' hard shell guitar case for the prestige deluxe guitar series...yes, guitar series..... Fits like a glove. Ibanez only sells a Gig Bag for their Mikro.

Thoughts - comments - chime in

Big Shrek, ScottMatt, BDrums and 2 others like this.
  2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I also prefer HSCs. Coincidentally, I just purchased an Ibanez SRC6 for which the company also offers only a gig bag. I found that a Fender Mustang Bass case I had laying around is a pretty good fit. Wonder if the case you reference would also work.

3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    pcake and B-Mac like this.
  4. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Comments? Okay...

It’s not OCD to tolerate nothing but HSCs, but to insist on the manufacturer’s name being on the case seems... a bit much.

I’m not plagued by this. I’ve got a gig bag and an HSC, one each in guitar and bass sizes, and I just throw in whichever instrument I need to transport.

Big Shrek, TrevorG, R&B and 8 others like this.
  5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

HSC's are good for storage, not so much for gigging, IMO.

6. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

no. i've used gig bags for decades without issue. but i respect your "hate." :thumbsup:

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Cheap gig bags - no, but a good one provides plenty of protection, as long as others are not tossing your instrument into a trailer. My Lull came with a Protec. Fourteen years of gigging later, the bag is still protecting it.

Big Shrek, Mvilmany, TrevorG and 14 others like this.
  8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    A nice HSC protects the bass much better in transit. But I prefer gigbags. I do transport mine in a nice Mono Vertigo bag. I’m not an animal :)

9. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I have a Mono bag which i transport my IbanezSR505. Great bag and light. However, my new Kiesel Icon5, I purchased the HSC. Also for my RIC, Gibson andFenderJazz I use the HSC they came with. I do load my basses in the trailer for gigs and too risk back there of things getting banged around.

10. I know...matching tie and handkerchief crap. Probably is really bordering on OCD. Just bugs me when a manufacturer just doesn't bother when they make something new. At the very least for the first year of issue.

11. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't like hard cases, unless I have to place my bass in the baggage compartment of a plane. I don't much like soft cases either. My favourite cases are semi-hard and the best I've found, protection-wise, is the Sadowsky Portabag. I'd much rather have my bass dropped while in a Portabag than while in a hard case.

12. None of these in this link. The case I am referring to is an older Ibanez Case for a guitar that works perfectly for the GSRM20 Mikro Bass.
    Electric Basses GSR - GSRM20 miKro | Ibanez guitars

Electric Basses GSR - GSRM20B miKro | Ibanez guitars

Ibanez only makes a Gig Bag for it and is not aware that this older case fits it perfectly. And I mean perfectly, not coffin case style.

See link and pix
    Vintage Ibanez deluxe prestige Guitar hardshell case only good shape.

Ibanezprestigedeluxe.

It is a bummer this topic was moved. Although I fully understand and agree why it was moved the secondary reason for the post (besides my borderline OCD) was to help those who own an Ibanez Mikro GSRM20 find a real hard shell case for their little baby bass

Here are the internal measurements:

39 inches length 12 1/2 inches lower bout and 10 inches upper bout.

Neck to body 23 inches. Body to neck 16 inches.

Very bottom of body to top of highest horn 19 inches

Fits like it was made for it.

mcnach likes this.
  13. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I have hardshell cases for all of my basses (except my upright) but I have not taken a bass to a gig in a HSC in about 30 years. Ever since I got my first gig bag, I only use the hard cases for storrage.

14. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    I guess I would like hard cases more if I traveled long distances to gig but most of my gigging isn't further than a few hours away with the instruments traveling in my car. Gig bags it is. Easier to transport, easier to store in the venue, etc.

R&B, Bass Man Dan, mcnach and 2 others like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I got a bunch of basses and two stands.

My main bass stays out on one stand. And one of the others is rotated to the second stand. I do this on a strict schedule so they all get played regularly. The ones I'm not playing I would prefer be sitting in HSCs rather than gig bags.

For roading I still prefer a HSC, although for a quick local jaunt, a gig bag works for me if it's something like a Fender or similar. Those basses are pretty hard to damage and easy to fix if you do. But for set necks or necks with angled headstocks, or that are semi-hollow or ABGs, I definitely want something more substantial than a gig bag even then.

B-Mac and dukeorock like this.
  16. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I went to a mono this pat year. I love it.

Roberto Nunez and dukeorock like this.
  17. I’m for whatever works but zippers are potential finish scratchers imhop

Big Shrek and dukeorock like this.
  18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    If you don’t drive, a hard case is useless. Mono gig bags for me.

19. Good point!!!!!

zon6c-f and dukeorock like this.
  20. My 98 Fen AB1 is in gig bag

Has nice finish and I cringe every time I put it back into its bag

( I also cringe every time I play it which is why it has spent more time in bag than hands )

dukeorock likes this.