1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Bag Woes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Russell L, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I was cleaning my Jazz Bass when I noticed it looked dark around parts of the corner of the headstock. What in the world did that? Then I realized it---gig bag. Mine is a nice one, I think (Fender, thickly padded), but maybe the liner should be made of something different.

Dang, it's my first gig bag, and quite frankly, I've been enjoying the freedom it affords. I don't worry about other damage since I'm extremely careful about not bumping it around. It surely does help me load in and out, especially when my calendar gets busy. I love to wear it on my shoulders so I can load in in one trip. But, alas, maybe I'll have to rethink. Apparently it's all the movement inside the bag that is wearing on my finish.

Anyone else have a similar problem, or a solution?

2. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement

I've used Fender gig bags off and on for over 25 years and never had any issues like you mentioned. IMO, for the money, they are the best gig bag out there. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the way Fender designed the handle. I would like to see a handle more along the lines of what the Road Runner gig bags have.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, like I said, I've been very pleased with the quality of my bag. But, I can think of nothing else that could be making the corner of the headstock dark like that. Nothing else has been rubbing it.

Nonetheless...maybe I should check my hard case for something. Maybe that dark look has been there longer than I know, only I haven't noticed it before. But, the headstock doesn't touch anything in the hard case, I don't think. I got the gig bag about nine months ago. $40 at Musiciansfriend.com.

I'll do a test now. Some of the darkness cleaned off, as if maybe it was some of the dye in the liner. I'll watch and see if it comes back now that it's clean. I can't imagine that it has gotten dirty inside, not at the top at least.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Asked a guitar player bud if he's had it happen. He said yes.

Checked my other bass that uses the same gig bag sometimes and found the same. Ah well, I don't wanna stop using the bag, though. I'll try not to jiggle it around much. Heh, maybe it will give my basses a road worn look, huh? btw, some of the dark areas cleaned up, but not all. Haven't noticed any wear on the body, just around the sharp corner around the headstock.

I guess it's no worse than the mark the retainer to keep the lid of my hard case from flopping back has left in the body finish (I have to cover that thing up with a rag now--might just cut it off, but it's too late, the damage is done). Ya know, the little fabric strap thingy that folds down when you lower the lid.

5. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    There's no doubt that the best protection comes from a high quality hard shell case. When I lived in NYC, a gigbag was a must, since I tool the subway everywhere. I was always worried about the guitar getting wet or something, so I got some marine grade vinyl and created a large pouch I could put my bass in, then in the gig bag.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If you want to keep using the gig bag, get a big work sock and pull it over the head for protection.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Just a thought ... vinyl and nitrocellulose lacquer don't get along well. The lacquer will soften ... a fine mess.

8. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    haha I just checked the back edge of my headstock and surely enough there was a bunch of black like smear... never noticed it before. BTW I use a roadrunner bag that I bought at GC so it must not be an fender bag exclusive problem.

9. Same thing happen to my White P but in a worst place the body below the bridge I knew it was the bag as soon as I seen it. You would think Fender would make a bag to protect your investment no cause it damage!I have tried many polishes and nothing removes it!

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, I see I'm not alone here. Dang, you'd think they'd line the bag interior with something that wouldn't cause this problem. Maybe there is a better bag out there that wouldn't do it, but how can you tell?

Sigh. What to do? The sock idea might work. Or maybe there's a way to line the thing with something else. If it all gets to me much trouble, though, I'll just use my hard case.

As a reminder, I've had this bag less than a year, so it doesn't take long.

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Russell, I don't have a Fender bag, could you describe what material the liner Is? Plush? Fun fur? Velvety? Spun Olefin (the synthetic micro-waffle looking stuff)? I have one with Olefin and hope it won't bleed on my bass.

The other bag I have is heavy duty nylon with one inch foam rubber sides lined with one inch thick, dense fun fur lining, denser than I have ever seen except on the most expensive stuffed animals. I bought it in the early nineties, it was made in Canada. I have never seen one like it since. Now I'm afraid of the new one.

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I know gig bags work for a lot of people, but I haven't carried a bass in anything but a hardshell case for about 10 years now. Yeah they're expensive and the extra weight can be a PITA (especially with a 70s P-Bass that's heavy to begin with), but to me the extra protection is worth it.

13. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nothing but hardshell cases for me.

14. JoeJeffries.com

JoeJeffries.com Joe Jeffries Gold Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I've been using Zon Pro (from Zon Guitars) gig bags since the late 90's... no issues here.

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    It's like fine weave nylon, best I can tell. Black. Plenty of foam in it. It's a nice bag, I think. The outer is a more coarse weave nylon.