Gig bags?? Are pricey ones that good??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just picked up a Lakland D55 with case. I alway want the case for resell purposes but I just won't deal with a case in everyday use as they just seem to take up so much room in the car. I was looking at the Lakland catalog and found that they sell a gig bag but want $155 for it. Is it THAT GOOD? I've been using Levy bags. The ones with 1" foam and have been pretty happy with them. I can get them for $50.

Are the more expensive gig bags really worth the high price tag?
  2. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    For a lakland it is worth it.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, That's a waste of money. I've seen alot of VERY PADDED bass gigbags by Levy, Ibanez, Warwick, Groove Pack from $50-80. I'm talking alot of padding. I have a double Groove Pack dlx gigbag that I use for 2 Spectors when I gig. They sold for $80. If you want to spend $155 on a gigbag, go ahead. But look around first. You will definitly find one in the price range I mentioned w/more than enough padding to protect it.
  4. $155?! :eek:

that´s more than I paid for my HSC!!

but I suppose that for a Lakland, nothing is too good! :D
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have three heavily padded, leather look (they still fool me ;) "Precision gig bags. I got all three over a period of time for $105 total.

My HSCs stay in the closet, except for the fitted Fender cases.
  6. Check out the LA bass exchange. They have great gig bags by Undercover on sale for $129. I beleive these are made by the same company that makes Laklands bags.
  7. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I was able to get one of those Levy's leather trimmed bags for $39.95 new 'cause the store was discontinuing the item.For everyday's great.I also have one of those Fender double gig bags which was $49.95.A nice idea on paper,but the reality is that two basses in one bag is damn heavy!The latest version of the Warwick bag is very good,it has even more padding and a bunch of heavy duty straps and zippers to hide the straps(!).I think it's a good idea to have one hard case for when you need to travel far,but for local stuff the gig bag is good.
  8. Hmmm...Tom Lee's used to get those....well, I dunno what brand they are, but last time I went they said they stopped getting those ones, and now only have the Warwick bags. I think I need a new one, because the black...cover...stuff is starting to rip at the edges. :p
    Heh...I REALLY sound like I know what I'm talking about, don't I? :D:p
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Be smarter than the zippers :D i broke 1 of the zippers on a pocket on my gig bag-the thing got stuck so i tried to muslce it-bad move...not its off track. i'm lookin for a hardshell because of marching band & don't want my bass smashed. thats all
  10. a sligtly cramped car is a small price to pay to protect your Lakland, IMO...
  11. Once upon a time I had a Reunion Blues Leather gig bag with an Alembic bass that sure was nice, but when I traded the bass it was thrown in for the cash difference. Since then I haven't spent the big bucks for a bag. I have several cheap bage that I use around the house protection, a CTM tweed bag and a PV double bag that I use most of the time for local gigs and rehearsals. .
  12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That is a good thought that the inconveniences of a case outweight what would happen without the case. I do take VERY good care of my equipment and it may just be wise to pickup an SKB (read icechest) case for day to day transport. But I've really had good luck with gig bags. One of the scariest times is when you are loading or unloading your equipment that there is a very high probability of threft. I like to just strap the gig bag over my shoulder while rolling the amp and speakers out to the car. This is not that much of an issue where I live compared to New York or Chicago but I still hate to leave either my bass in the case or the amp sitting there.

Back to the original post, I did some checking on the web and there are some companies that make some nice gig bags. Has anyone tried the Reunion Blues bags?

Thanks for the lead to the cases at LABX. I'll try and give Dave a call to get the rundown on the Undercover bags.
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    We've got the Undercover bags at Bass Central as well, check with us for a price ( or 1-800-545-8813).

I just bought one of their double bags, and am very happy with it. As Bass Boy pointed out, they're the exact same bags that Lakland sells, without the Lakland price tag (that embroidery is EXPENSIVE y'know ;) ).
  14. I've never understood why people use gig bags. I always thought they were what you bought when you couldn't afford a hardshell case. I would think that a bass would be much more succeptable to breakage in a gig bag (falling over, things falling on it, etc.) than it would in a hard case. Quite honestly, I would be afraid to leave the house with any of my guitars in a gig bag. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but could someone please explain the appeal? I really don't understand this one.
  15. Matt
    I agree that cases protect better than gig bags, however the bags I own are VERY well padded. For traveling around the city I use the subway system as it is much more convenient than trying to find parking. A gig bag is easier to handle in these situations. I just through it over my shoulder and I'm off to the gig/session/rehearsal. I find carrying a case tires my hands before I even get to the gig. If I am doing some road work or travelling I definately use a hard case.
  16. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Great answer. I totally agree.
  17. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I handle my own equipment and since I've paid alot of hard earned money for that equipment I take extra care. There is a big difference between a $20 gig bag and a $60 one.

I posted the original question because I have several Levy bags that I paid $50 for that have over 1" of padding and great zippers. I was just wondering if the higher priced bags were that much better.

It seems from what I've seen on the net that there isn't that much difference.
  18. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I have a Fodera gig bag and paid a little over $100 for it.... close to $130 or something I think, and it's been well worth every penny. This thing is solid. It really fits snugly around the bass, and is very stiff and sturdy. It's almost like it molds itself around the bass. I don't know if this is just a type of gig bag that is made by some other company and simply has their logo on it, or if it's a truly custom deal, but it is incredible & well worth the extra $$.
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    To the best of my knowledge, this is also an Undercover Bag, same as the Lakland. Definitely worth the extra dead presidents if you're going to use a bag.
  20. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    My 6 was in my Levy's bag 2 weeks ago and got knocked over flat on the front.Not even a nick and still completely in tune.