1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig-Bags for 2 Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Anyone use one? Who makes a decent one that won't suck up all my lunch money?

Thanks!

2. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I use one! It's a Fender and it was cheap, but decent....
    MF sells them

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I use a Levy's double bag with two separate compartments. Not exactly cheap (over $100) but very good at protecting basses.

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I just find my double bag to be a pain in the back to use! :p Since I have to use the house rig at almost every place I play, I'd much rather use two gig bags. YMMV, but a bag with chords, music, tuner, markers, DI and two basses comes in at about 30 lbs.

Dan K.

5. that-guy

that-guy

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne
  6. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Second to the mono, definitely worth the price! I'm not going to put $3k+ worth of basses into something cheap!

7. diglo

diglo Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    MONOCASES!!!!

8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Pretty good info, thanks folks! For my part, I'm carrying essentially budget axes, so MONO is not happening... that Fender jig'll probably do the deal for me. Much appreciated!

9. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Fender one does a great job for the cash. I use it as my only bag (because it is!) and rarely double up. But it's a lot easier than 2 bags or cases. It does get surprisingly heavy with 2 basses in it.

Monos are cool and made really well. But 6 times more than a Fender is still 6 times more than a Fender.

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    iGig

11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Ibanez makes one that I've been using for several years. It's even got wheels! About 100.00 but worth it. Have to get a music store to order it.

12. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Yeah, I've seen the Ibanez bag - its in my Amazon 'save for later' cart because it does sometimes go on sale.

I have two fender dual bags and a Mono M80D; I use the Mono for the most part but the fenders are more than capable. One plus is that a Thunderbird will fit in the fender bag. I just don't let anyone else carry my basses to protect the headstocks.

Also, the only thing in gig bags are basses. It keeps the weight down and the bags in shape. I use an electrician's case for cords, mics, and stuff.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I use a Levy's also. It is vinyl with leather trim and was $200+.

Holds 2 basses and the front pocket is big enough to hold my GK MB Fusion and a few cables.

I love it and it is all I have used for the last 3 years for every one of my gigs and rehearsals.

14. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
  15. I has the Fender and it did ok. It was bulky but had plenty of room; I have since bought a Roadrunner from MF and it is superior in every way and was only $69. Weight? Well, I'm over sixty and it hasn't been a problem; I've learned the hard way to always have a backup bass.

16. I have the Fender one and it does fine.

But I don't bring two electric basses to gigs anymore, so I don't use it much. I use a Levy's bag for the EBG and an Upton bag for the upright bass.

17. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    I use a Reunion Blues.

18. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Access Stage 3 is the BEST budget 2x bass bag. I traded up for the Mono bag a while ago (here's the thread with pics.)

19. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I have the Fender and its held up nicely to a fair amount of gigging. But I find that the location of the handles makes it very unbalanced, like double neck dive from hell...what were they thinking when they designed it?

20. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'll probably go hit the Fender as its the cheapest, but still looks like it'll protect my strung-up firewood. But that Access Stage 3 looks like a nice upgrade.