1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig bags for Bongos...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jul 27, 2012.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    ...not Bedtime for Bonzo;)

I am finding that little point at the end of the headstock makes it a tight squeeze in bags I own. When it pushes against the padding and compresses it the protection is really compromised if it ever takes it on the chin. Music Man does not offer one that I can see.

So what do the Bongo boys use?

2. I don't have mine (yet, its on order) but I'll be using the hardcase at all times with it having a headstock that is prone to dinging.

I'll try it in my Mono M80 though...which is a kinda hybrid case.

3. In my opinion, the part that sticks out is safer than anything that's covered by the bag anyway since you'll pay attention to it more and protect it better from swinging doors, walls, pedestrians and street signs - so what's it matter?

Things covered up by the bag will be all but forgotten and are subject to bending, smashing and stomping since people think their gigbags are bulletproof.

Then again, it's just a Bongo and ----------> let me put a smiley here about now. :eek::D:bag::ninja::eyebrow:

...or a few.

4. I use Harvest bags - Really comfortable, and trustworthy to keep your instrument safe!

http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/home/
    Really nice if you can find em + they are made from genuine leather which is just eyecandy!

5. Put you bass and gigbag across a couple of chairs and sit on it. Post the video too - that'll be fun to watch. :spit:

6. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Check out the Blues Reunion bags - I have been thinking of getting one.

7. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    The Mono M80 Vertigo would seem to be a good fit for the Bongo.

8. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Try LP. Oops - wrong kind of bongos...

9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    My Fretless 4 fits nicely in the Mono M80...It should have the extra room to fit a fiver as well.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm assuming yours is a 5 string correct? I had the same issue, but was able to squeeze mine into a Roadrunner standard bag. If your worried, just use the Hard case it comes with.

11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Or candygram for Mongo.

12. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Landshark

13. happyg

happyg

Sep 17, 2011
    Reunion blues or Mono.

14. What's wrong with suggesting what i use?
    I never compared it to either of the other brands so where did this comment come from?

15. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I'd say left field.:meh:

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    My Bongo 6 fits nicely in the Reunion Blues Continental bag and was a tight fit(length wise) in my Undercover gig bag.

17. Why does anyone even THINK a bag can protect a bass for much more than butterfly attack and sunshine? There is NO protection from bending. NONE so try what I suggested: put your bass inside a bag and (here it comes) sit on it.

Report back

18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    CHILL OUT man. Just because it's a gig bag doesn't mean it can't protect the bass. Some gigbags (such as Mono's stuff) are pretty sturdy and thick. OF COURSE it won't be a sturdy as a damn hard shell case. Some people just prefer to have a gig bag due to comfort, convenience, weight, etc etc.

Leave the guy alone already, sheesh.

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    My fits well inside of the mono m80 and also the incase single and double bags

20. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    No kidding, that rant was way outta line not to mention completely removed from reality. Some of us have carried some pretty nice basses in gigbags for decades without incident. In 30+ years being a working bassist and stagehand I've seen more instruments wrecked being transported in cases than I have in gigbags. A typical Fender type case is not much good against point crushing and will likely blow open if dropped. Gigbags tend to make you keep it close, pack it on top and take nothing for granted. A top quality one like Glenn Cronkhite builds probably offers as much real protection as most non-ATA hard cases.

OP if you can't find a stock bag Glenn's work is not that expensive for what you get. Mooradian is another company that does custom bags.