1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gig bags

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MarkMyWordsXx, Dec 10, 2006.

1. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    dunno if this belongs here but whataver move it if you must.

so i often end up carrying my warwick around and with a case its really heavy, so im looking for a good gig bag that i can trust.

whatare you guys using, how much was it etc

2. Mines some levys one thats really nice and padded but the pocket is really small so nothing else can fit in it besides the bass and cords.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I hate cases. Silly. Always use a high quality bag

Rob

4. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    such as?

5. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

I have an Undercover double bag and a Sadowsky Incase single bag

Rob

6. Musicianfriend has a very good gig bag for $19.95. it appears to be same bag that fender sell for $49. Comes in several colors. I've got 3 of them and have never hd any complaints.

7. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    A hard case only weighs a couple extra pounds. If you want to keep your nice bass in good shape suck it up and keep using the hard case. Gig bags are practically worthless beyond preventing minor cosmetic dings and scratches.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    got the same bag and it is a great deal. really like the handle in the back that let's you carry it in one hand while it is straight up and down.

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    my gig bag has a big hole in the bottom where the strap pin pokes through. time for a new one!

10. I've got a Levis one that is awesome! It's got padded walls around the sides and the front and back are fairly stiff. My bass has always been very safe and never had any damage (or even risk of) and I've gigged with it actively for about 2 years. Highly recommend it. The thing about gig bags, is that there are some really cheap lousy ones that almost guarantee damage to your instument, but there are also some really good, well padded ones that protect your bass as well as a hard case.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Great advice. No offense but I'd completely ignore it.

I gig regularly and have several custom instruments among other things that still look brand new and they've only travelled (for years) in gigbags.

Maybe you just haven't used a decent gigbag.

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Right on, Brad. My bags are practically bulletproof. Ive had everything from Foderas and MTDs in them. I use Sadowsky's now and they always go in bags with the cases in my closet. Many hi end makers offer bags standard or offer them as options. I play about 180 shows a year with no issues. Easy to throw over your shoulder, walk with, etc. Cases suck

Rob

13. By tomorrow I'll be able to chime in about the new Sadowsky Portabag. For the past 6 months I've used an Undercover. It's great but I like the features of the Sadowsky Portabag a little more. We'll see how it stacks up.

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Hey marcus, did u get a Sadowsky to go in it?

Rob

15. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i saw one with a big enough pocket to fit the little mark II, which really makes me wanna get both the bag and the LM2, play more jazz, drink coffee and drive an audi..

one thing at a time tho

16. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I'm using a Levy's double gig bag, had it close to a year now, and I love it. I used to take everything in hardshell cases, usually 2 electrics and one acoustic bass guitar for most gigs. It's so much easier now with the double bag, and the Levy's protects the instruments just fine. (The acoustic still rides in a hardshell, haven't gone looking for a bag for that yet, and I'm a bit afraid that the acoustic contruction isn't quite as durable or forgiving as a solid body.)

17. LOL I wish man.

For now though my Zon Legacy Elite V is going to be comfy in it.

By January of this coming year I plan on taking a drive downtown to Roger's shop to play some Metros. I may just walk out of the store with a bass in hand.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was a 100% case guy for years, and finally I actually had to carry my basses somewhere other than unloading at a front door. Carry two regularly and opted for a double gig bag instead of a pair of cases. I'm using a Fender bag which is plenty protective, however, not comfortable slung over a shoulder.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I seriously doubt that anyone using a gigbag is also talking about throwing that bag in with the rest of their gear in the back of a vehicle. I could be wrong of course.

On some gigs I drive a Miata... and I'm a bass player:D. I can put two gigbags in the trunk of that car. If I took just one bass in a HSC I'd have to drive another car. I went to Jivesound yesterday in my BMW Z3 Coupe... with three basses on the passenger side and a full rig in the hatch area under the retractable cover. When I left I put a fourth bass in the rear hatch area... in a gigbag of course. Can't come close to doing that with a HSC.

Easier to carry, easier to haul, easier on the surfaces of the interior of you car and keeps your gear as comfortable temperaturewise as you. I haven't gotten so much as a nick on any of my basses in over 25 years of using gigbags.

The one advantage I'd give to a HSC is they're nicer to open up when you get a new bass. Otherwise, unless I'm handing my bass off to someone else (I rarely do), I won't use one.