1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gig combo opinions (ampeg)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by your idol, Oct 12, 2009.

1. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Howdy! first venture over here to the amp side.

I currently have an Ampeg SVT 350 head and an Acoustic 410 cab. quite frankly I hate lugging it and for all the crap i have to carry the Ampeg is just not loud enough (its really weak sauce) I used to play through an SVT2pro and it would drown out the 350 maxed on 5. forced financial sale :( or thats what id rock.

im looking to cut down on rig size with enough sound to play small to medium gigs (100-300 people) large bars and clubs. i love the Ampeg sound but need harder hit than the 350. heres my list of demands bulletpointed

- Ampeg-ish sound
    -LOUD
    -Fairly portable (a combo would be optimal)
    -if a combo no 1x15 rigs..i need tighter sound
    -ported would be cool
    - $800-1000 budget (i am not opposed to spending much less though)

so guys...suggestions

2. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    nobody weighing in on this????

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Funny you mentioned this. I just took my Markbass Little Mark II to a gig where I AB'd it with my 1969 SVT through an 810, and it wasn't quite the same, but with just a little bit of EQing, I got it way closer than it has a right to be. I haven't played some of the newer heads that have come out like the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0, which is said to be a warmer more Ampeg-like head than their other ones, and I haven't played the Mesa and Aguilar heads that are supposed to sound tubey, but that LMII is the tubiest solid state head I've ever played. Only does clean but nails it.

Used to have the Markbass small 121P combo and for a single 12" it was LOUD. So is the Shuttle. But ultimately, if you really want to get loud, you need an extension cab for them. The 102 combo with the 210's is louder and will project really well if you stand it sideways. Doesn't really sound like an SVT cab but it responds to EQ pretty well. You could also add a VT Bass pedal if you want to dial in SVT sound even closer. That thing nails it even better and does distorted tones, too. Really, if you didn't want to lay out any cash, you could just stick a VT on your current stuff and be way closer to the mark than most amps can get you.