Gig Combo Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, May 22, 2003.

1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I'm looking at picking up a more powerful combo for some small gigs around local bars and clubs.
    I'm thinking it'll have to be at least 120 watt but i haven't got that much cash to spend. Hopefully someone can suggest something around $600.
  2. Maybe a Fender Bassman 200? 200 watts into 1x15, compact, not too heavy and good tone. They're $649.00 at You don't have to buy from there, but, use it as a starting point.

Why not go there and see what else they've got?

Good luck.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd check out the Ashdown combos, or, if you have a little more cash, the Eden Time Traveler 10 Combo.

Then again, there's always the separate head/cab approach...

4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

You might want to check out the Genz Benz ML200 series. 200W, tiltback design (if you want to use it as a monitor) and a choice of 1x12, 1x15 and 2x10. I've used mine to cover 1/2 ballrooms and coffeehouse venues and as a stage monitor when the PA was carrying the bass load. I've got mine up for sale because I'm moving to using separates (2 1x12 cabs and some kind of head/rack) but it's done everything I've asked of it and then some. It sounds fairly "modern". New price on the 1x12 version (what I've got) was ~$550, I'm not sure about the cost on the 1x15 or 2x10.

I also played an open mic where an Ampeg BA-112 was supplied and it sounded good but didn't have the power of my GB.