Gig Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orange_juice_binge, Feb 16, 2001.

1. orange_juice_binge

Sep 8, 2000
    I'm looking into buying my first combo for gig purposes, and I need some ideas. My budget is around $400-$600, maybe more. If anyone knows of any good combos around this price range, please feel free to post them. Thanks.
  2. Carvin makes some fine combo amps.I have the Cyclops and no matter how loud our band gets it punches right through with no problem.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I'll second the Carvin... But it's a bit more than $600... about $850 + shipping. yOu might have to get that one used to find it in your price range.

I like the next smaller model better... It's 600w into 2x10 speakers + a horn. It's still loud as heck, but about 25 lbs lighter. It's also about $100 less. Later on if you need it, tack on a 1x18 and stand back!
  4. OJ , although I don't own a combo currently, I have been looking into them in recent months as a back up rig and for smaller venues.I have been using one of my guitar players ampeg ba 112 50 watts for rehearsals. It goes for around $300 and while it is an impressive sounding and quite loud little combo its certainly not big enough to gig with. You'll find dozens of talkbassers that love the 100 watt version of the ampeg ba series , It is a lotta bang for the buck. But what I'm here to tell you is that recently I a/b-ed alot of 100 & 200 watt combos including the ampegs swr workingmans series, and several others and in the price range your talking to me the clear winner was the new Fender Bassman series. I am real close to purchasing the bassman 200 for around $600. These are very well built combos with loads of features and in my opinion has totally shed the bad image thier BXR series had.
  5. SWR Workingman's 15" I've seen it in action, great for gigs....
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    The current combo I am using is a crate, I don't remember the exact model but it is 150 watt. You can get them from about 300-400 I believe. Mine holds up pretty well, though I plan on upgrading soon.

7. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I'd opt for a used Ampeg B2 or B248.I just found a B248 for $350. A lot of amp for the money.
  8. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I've got a Crate BX2115 ProBass Combo (1X15) 150w@8ohms and 220@4ohms. Adequately loud for small to medium sized venues (if your playing jazz or moderately loud rock) it has an XLR out so you can go to the board and run thru PA. Also an effects loop, 8 band EQ and built in chorus. Paid $385.00 on Ebay.