Gig droughts and floods

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twinjet, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I swear, usually it's one every other month... maybe!

I have a two-night out of town gig on the 19th and 20th. Those were confirmed ages ago. Cool!

Then, we were invited to a local pizza joint on the 23rd. Ok, three nights in a week. Liking it!

This dive bar I posted about called us back on the 25th (yes, we are using a sound man!). Dang, dude. Busy.

A few hours ago, I get a text asking to fill in for a nursing association's banquet in a museum downtown, playing with a jazz quartet on the 12th. Now we're on fire!

Five gigs across a two week period. Haven't been this busy in years!

I'm almost excited for the down time... :D

S-Bigbottom, Aberdumbie and MrLenny1 like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Dude!:bassist:

twinjet likes this.
  3. Yeah , I've run into both ends of this spectrum. A couple of years ago when both of my bands were pretty active , I had a couple of months that were an absolute whirlwind. Both bands were running about 2 gigs a month at the time , but when the clubs call , you play. (See the one strike and you're out thread.)
    Just the opposite this year. While one band hasn't officially disbanded , we haven't played since November. The other band has been fairly busy but we don't have anything at all in August. That and the fact that I'm sitting here with a broken left hand that will keep me out for probably another 4 weeks means this will be a pretty slow year for me.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    It's usually all or nothing.
    Enjoy the good times.

twinjet likes this.
  5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Nice! Between 09 and 13 i played about 75 gigs a year. Way slower since then (1 or 2 a month) but literally nothing for over a year now other than subbing. My funk band has a new drummer and keyboard player and I finally have a gig this Saturday!! Can't wait...

twinjet likes this.
  6. Six gigs in April, no gigs in May (subs for 2 dates), five gigs in June.

"I just don't know what to do with myself".....

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Go buy a lottery ticket...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021