1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Friday.. Advice..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lazen, May 9, 2010.

1. Lazen

Lazen

Nov 27, 2009
    I have my biggest gig friday. It is infront of about 3,000 people and my band isn't ready. We have about 5 to 7 songs down talking about everybody but the singer, the singer is awful. It's about 4 hours, what do i do?

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    You have a 4 hour long gig and you only have 7 minute songs down? I don't think it matters your singer doesn't have them down, he will by the 14th time repeating your set...

3. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Take a crap load of drugs and hope the audience listened to a lot of jam bands. 7 tunes in 4 hours is pretty average for that scene. If you can bring a sweet lighting guy to do an extended light solo that'd help as well.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    why the heck did you take that gig if you only have 5-7 songs and your singer stinks? Anyway, cancel. I would rather not play than get up there and have a trainwreck, but thats just my opinion. You arent ready for that gig.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Eat%2BYour%2BSpinach%2B8x10print.
    spinach_popeye.

6. Who booked it in the first place under these circumstances anyway? And how did you get booked for a gig as a headliner or even opener at 3K person gig with only 5 or 7 songs?

I smell something rotten in talkbass.com

7. Either my band would be bowing out of the gig, or I'd be quitting the band. No way I'd go up in front of that many people as unprepared as you (all) are...:scowl::rollno::ninja:

Why did you take this gig if you were obviously so unprepared? The guy who hired your band has to be an idiot.

We're playing this Friday also: 2 x 50 minute sets, planning on playing 28 songs. I'd say we should be just about right on with that.

OTOH, you guys sound like you're screwed..!..:eek: Good luck with the gig...you're gonna need it.:(

8. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    They must be Grateful Dead tunes!

9. or maybe In-a-Godda-da-Vida...album version, by Iron Butterfly. (for you young guys, it's a 17 minute song)

...drum solo, anyone?....:hyper::bag:

10. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I cant wait to see the outcome of this!

11. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Troll city

12. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    More cowbell???

13. Well youcould drink a crap load of coffee, and learn a half dozen covers. Do some sabbath, Zeppelin, maybe a couple red herrings like some Devo or b 52s.
    Even better, learn some Doors covers and watch the vocalist really make an ass of himself.

14. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Trolladelic

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Hire a proper band to do the "heavy lifting"...you guys can still play your set.

16. Serious suggestion: Buy a fake book, schedule as many practices as you can, and get the whole band to play through the fake book. Take the fake book to the gig, and do what you can.

Actual response: It seems like this thread lives under a bridge.

17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    :D:D:D:D:D Ain't that the truth!

18. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    Go Phish!

19. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If you only have 5-7 songs down... for a 4-hour gig.

Decline the gig as quickly as you can. You're only going to harm your future reputation.

20. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Change the name of the band to "Time Loop", play the same songs over and over and see if anyone gets the joke.