1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig gone awry!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd imagine that this happens quite a bit. Even the best have an occassional brain fart.

3. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
  4. yikes...that'd be embarrassing!
    that reminds me of that 12 year old girl who was singing the national anthem and forgot the words, and the basketball players or coaches or someone on the team came up and sang the rest of it with her...that was nice :)

but yikes, i'd be a horrible choice to sing the nationl anthem...not only can i not sing, but i still hear that song the way drummer sing that song

"Oh say can you Boom-Crash!
    By the dawns early Boom-Crash!"

Thats how i hear the song after 4 years of high school pep band standing next to the drummer :)

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Oh yeah, that was Maurice Cheeks, who was then coach of the Trailblazers. That was cool what he did.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I may have a different reaction to this than most. I didn't think it was funny. It's an easy song to have a brain fart on. Here's why I didn't think it was funny...

It would've been really cool if the people at the event had helped Musiq out. Sounds like, after the dead silence, they were laughing and booing instead. Of course none of them got up there and sang it and I'd be willing to bet that like a lot of Americans, they didn't know the word(s) he forgot either. Funny.

I guess looking at it from the performer's POV, I can empathize with him.

Mo Cheeks has always been a class act.

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Oh, Major props to Mo Cheeks, that was one of the classiest things I've seen at a basketball game. Without even doing the research, I have to assume he is a Dad. I got weepy just watching that...:bawl:

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Given the choice of either cringing, laughing or helping, Mo helped. Again, class act IMO. And he did it in spite of the fact that he clearly can't sing.

9. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Maybe my viewpoint is skewed because I perform and can imagine what it must have felt like, but...

<SOAPBOX>

It says a lot about the sorry state we're in when something like this makes the news.

A guy trying to do the right thing at a high school -- we're not talking Carnegie Hall here -- has a momentary lapse.

"Oh, let's all point and laugh and boo him! Oooh, and let's put his screw-up on the news too! That'll get us ratings!!!"

Feh.

I'm not one prone to violence but given the news announcerette's cheeky, "Learn the words before you sing the song!"... well, she should be thankful I wasn't within b*tch-slapping range.

I'm sorry folks, but in my humble view this is all just so wrong. Musiq may be embarassed... but the ones who should be embarassed are every person who jeered, along with the news announcers and whoever decided that this should air.

The milk of human kindness has soured...

</SOAPBOX>

'rick

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    This was @ MSG. It was the Michael Jordan HS All Star game. I think people reacted like that because A) It's New York, and B) the guy makes tons of money to sing. He has a couple of platimun albums under his belt. Forgetting words isn't that funny to me, but Carl Lewis singing the anthem........http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/carllewis.mp3

11. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Naked Gun, anyone?

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    There's another version of this clip, where he recovers and gets a standing ovation. Funny this one made the news.

13. at least it wasn't roseanne...

14. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Okay, thank you Woodchuck; I stand corrected. I wasn't familiar with the incident and was going by what was stated under the video window -- if the announcers mentioned MSG, I missed it (I'm on dialup at my current location, so the video was pretty choppy and disjointed).

I stand by my disappointment in this making the news the way it did, the announcerette's snippish remark, the boos from the crowd, and what it all implies.

'rick

15. The only classy thing that the Blazers have done in the last 10 years.:rolleyes:

And it was a travesty that they fired Cheeks. He seemed to have some actual control over the players. Now they just do whatever they want. And they still suck.

Rock on
    Eric

16. i don't know, your sig seems to say differently :)

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You'd be suprised how many times this happens. Even in the military (where singers are paid to know this song - and sing it two or three times a week), sometimes folks forget the words, or where they are in the form (did I just sing the second verse, or the first?).... Singing the National Anthem a capella is a nerve-wracking experience.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    It's the perfect vocal coach song. You go through EVERY vocal range. Personally, I couldn't do it, and I'm a decent singer.

19. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    I love how they spelled his name "music soul child."

Channel 4 news has its ear to the streets.

20. I absolutely agree 10000%

I thought that it was really brave to finish the song. I would like ran away.