1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig gone crazy

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rtbassist, Apr 2, 2013.

1. rtbassist

rtbassist

Feb 6, 2012
    So basically, the other day we had a gig where we were sharing the bill with about ten or so other acts, it was like a variety show for local musicians. We were going to play a couple of smooth numbers and some jazz funk. We were sharing the drum kit with all the other acts and so we had just a snare, a ride and a hi hat cause of someone's bad organisation. Our drummer turned up late, totally baked. The smooth numbers went great, but when we moved on to our funky stuff, the crowd got and danced and some jumped up on stage and started playing bits of percussion that had been left around on the stage. We were playing a head followed by 32 bar solos each. All was good till the drum solo, when the adrenalin and whatever **** he was on mixed together to create the most awesome drum solo I've seen, like no-holds barred stuff. Unfortunately this ended in the kit being trashed and the sticks he had been lent, cause he hadn't brought any, being totally shredded. As this turned the atmosphere sort of awkward the tune broke down and i ended up jamming a funk groove with some other drummer playing bongos who had rushed the stage earlier, while our drummer collect bits of drum kit and sticks from around the stage. We ended up with a 3 drummers, a bongo player, some maraca players, a sax, a guitar, a bass and two pianists up on stage just grooving crazily while the crowd danced. Was an awesome gig, but pretty crazy compared to my previous ones, the start of the drug fuelled music playing I think. What experiences do other people have of gigs getting a bit out of control or playing with guys that are high?

2. lang3735

lang3735

Mar 13, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    I worked in a band where the drummer had a drug and alcohol problem.
    He lost his drivers licence and I had a van, so I ended up driving him to rehearsals and gigs. After one gig where he was very drunk, he took ages to pack up his kit. He couldn't get a stand to fit in the stand case and lost control. He threw the stand, upturned his entire stand case, kicked over some of his toms and generally made a scene....with the bouncers looking on in amazement.
    I helped him get his stuff together and we got out asap.
    Another time he was on speed...or cocaine...so he could get through the gig as he hadn't slept from the previous day as he had partied all night.
    His playing was surprisingly normal..until near the end of the last set.
    He was turning pale and looked terrible...he was leaning to one side and I thought he was going to pass out..but he only just made it through. No stories of drug fueled amazing playing. It was a pain in the ass.
    I don't gig with him anymore.

3. The bottom line is that drugs do not enhance your playing. I don't mind goofing off and jamming after some self medicating (I live in a state where it's legal). However, no drugs (other then maybe some caffeine) enhance performances. They never do.

That said, I was in a reggae rock band that somehow got a bunch of contacts in the pro-marijuana crowd. As such, we played some ~strange~ gigs. One of them was at a festival that, to attend, you had to have a medical prescription. Let's just say that there was a ton of high-grade, really strong stuff that was getting fed to the band by some people who were into us. It was very difficult to say "no more" to them. It was very, very difficult to finish the show... and the audience was very, very interesting!

4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Late '70's playing a Mexican low rider bash in Sylmar, California. Started at 10PM, at midnight we had a rival bunch arrive and start shooting and yelling, several shots resulted in 1 wounded attendee and several holes in the house and windows. It was quick, too. Man, did the crowd scream and run/duck. Cops came of course, the guy that hired us apologized and paid us the balance (we always got 1/2 up front before a gig) and then we boogied rapidly away.

5. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    look, musicians are high all the time. some claim theyre better, some claim theyre worse. me? i find that a little light pot smoking (nothing too crazy, just a puff or two) before a show greatly enhances my sense of rythm and my feel for the song in general. now, there are people who get stupidly high, and mess everything up and make it seem like nobody can play high. now with alcohol, i will not even have a sip untill im off the stage for the night. booze makes me sloppy, and i realize that it makes me sloppy. but a little dope before a show never hurt.

6. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    Meh to those who say nobody is better on drugs.... I say Bollox!

Come watch my band sober and then intoxicated and tell me what sounds better.

Drugs create emotion, emotion creates soulful playing.

Obviously there's a limit to how intoxicated one can get before sounding like crap.

7. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    i was playing a bar gig once, typical three set blah blah blah and after the first set me and my guitar players wife smoked a bowl in the parking lot.

After that, the next two sets took easily 3 years to play. Or thats what it felt like. Holy hell. I cant play high. It drags out too much.

8. Oh, I was in a band with a drummer who was an ex-meth head. While he was in the band, he relapsed, got back into meth, stole the guitarist's gear (amp, guitars, pedals...everything) for drug money, and broke up the band.

However, back while he was still keeping it secret from us, he showed up to a gig sweating profusely, disoriented, itchy and super paranoid. I don't know if he was on meth or having withdrawls, but he destroyed the gig and we sounded like rank amateurs. After he showed up at the next gig the same way, we decided to have a talk with him at the next practice. He never showed up. He had stolen a ton of stuff from a ton of people around him, and then left town, never to be seen again. I doubt he's alive today.

9. othefool

othefool Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Chico, CA
    Meth is bad, mmmK?

10. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I like how you can get a warning for not using asterisks on a swear word but drug discussion is fine. Way to go!

11. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    reading these kinds of posts piss me off...anyone who plays someone else's gear and has no respect for it is a complete douche...stones or straight.

12. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    +1!!!!

Cheers,
    Jim

13. We let a guy up on stage to sing an AC/DC song once. He made a total ass out himself to the glee and delight of his drunk friends.

Maybe if I were baked, it wouldn't have been so embarassing.

14. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    +100

15. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    No S$%# it's pretty f$#@&*g ridiculous! Aren't we trying to protect the innocent children that might be on here. It's kinda like how they can't show boobies on TV but endless gruesome violence is OK.

As to the drug thing. I can totally understand how someone can be too wasted on alcohol or hard drugs but how do you get that way on weed? Even with the super potent diggidy-dank out there today you reach a point where you can keep smoking but you can't get any higher. Are you people smoking your first joint ever or are very casual users or what. The real potheads I know can do anything as well high or sober, maybe better high because when they are not high they tend to be moody and uncooperative.