1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

[Gig] i think i got shortchange

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xikbastard, Jan 17, 2012.

1. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    did a show over the weekend, i started to branch out doing some session work, etc.. etc.. when i got free time since i got laid off from my day job.

what peeve me off is that we had sorta 5 bands playing for the evening and i was cool with playing the bass for the rest of the other bands/musicians etc..etc.. in all i pull a 5hrs. 5-sets with 5 different bands. they organiser and the other bands already told me abt it a few weeks off and i got the set-list and all.

what peeved me off when it comes to $$$, i was paid equally the same as everyone else's but i put in 5x more than the rest. while the rest was grabbing beer, flirting, trying to get laid, i was playing on stage! i would reckon something extra at the side would be nice but zilch.

i enjoyed it, it was fun and if i still got my day job, i won;t be bitching. but money is tight and i got a feeling i got taken for a ride, that feeling , sucks.

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Sounds like a legit gripe. Don't know that you can do much retroactively, but if you expect this to happen again, talk to the guys beforehand and see if you can arrive at a mutually agreeable arrangement.

You could go to them now and tell them what you think is ****** and why, I suppose. Depending on your relationship with the other players/management, you might get something. You want to make sure this doesn't happen again, but you want to do it without burning any bridges.

Look on the bright side: maybe one of the guys trying to get laid while you worked (may brimstone rain down on his crotch!) saved you from VD.

Long day for me -- forgive my being loopy. But... you get the idea.

3. In the same position, once I realised they wanted me to do 5 sets with 5 bands I'd have revised the price BEFORE agreeing to do it.

Not much you can do retrospectively, just don't make that same mistake again.

No, you didn't. You never set the expectation of being compensated for 5 hours in fact you said you didn't mind doing it. You would only have been taken for a ride if they hinted you'd be compensated accordingly, then were paid the same as the guys not playing as much as you. And its noone elses problem whether money is tight or not. Dont let that factor "sweeten the deal". By lowering your price, you risk lowering everyone's price as well ;-)

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    BUT, in the future yes you should iron this out beforehand. I sometimes play for more than one band on the same bill, and I always get paid from each band as though it were my only set that night. Anything else is unacceptable.

5. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    yeah i guess its my fault for not asking the "correct" questions and expect them to pay accordingly. end up being sore is stupid, lesson learn got to be careful and a bit shrewd than just a handshake,

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    So it was fun and you learned a lesson. So it was a win/win :D