1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig in two weeks and i have 60 songs to learn!!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Starflyer59, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Long story short, this is my second rehearsal on a country trio band and they have a gig in two Fridays and i have never in my life played country music and now i have 4 sets of 14-15 songs each to learn. No pressure eh?? and this one pays too!!!!

Has anyone worked under that much pressure musically?

2. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    60 songs in two weeks?!? In a genre that you're unfamiliar with... good luck with that.

I could do it in one month if I really crammed.

Keep us us posted, and good luck. Seriously.

3. MikeXbass

MikeXbass

Oct 15, 2009
    Pasadena, Tx
    I did something similar once and realized that the month it took me to learn the tunes for one gig...wasnt enough $$$...but if this turns into a regular gig for ya...GIVE IT ALL YOU GOT!!!

4. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Is there any possibility of getting the charts for the show?

Any easy songs you can just fake through?

Sounds like it's going to be a ton of fun. I love learning new material I'm unfamiliar with. I'd say, work you tail off and get everything down as well as humanly possible and stay (or at least portray that you are) confident during the gig even if you're unsure of the changes.

People probably won't notice a bum note here and there, but they will notice a player that looks lost and out of his element. Stay confident!

5. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Can you get a set list for each set? If so that might make it easier because you could practice playing the set all the way through up to the gig which would add some familiarity to the songs. At least that's the way I would attempt to tackle the challenge and a great one it is. Good luck and have fun.

6. The hardest part, IME, is connecting the names to the songs. Write each set out large, and write the intro, key, middle 8 etc next to it; enough to jog the memory. It is Country moozic too, so there should be a few 3 chorders in there, to give you a break.
    I've just been given 100 pop songs from the 60s to learn, and I'm a funk player... So let's get off the computer and get cracking....Good luck.

7. Good Luck Brother. Your Gonna Need It.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey, man, it's country. Three chords and all half-notes. How hard could it be?

9. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    I've played country for a few years. Some songs are easy, some aren't so easy. Even the three chorders sometimes have a lot going on. Of course, he can simplify the basslines on a lot of songs and they will still sound OK.

IMO Starflyer, they could/should cut down the list a bit for you since you're really under the gun. I have never played a gig where 60 songs were needed. Usually 44 to 48 is plenty. That's 11 or 12 songs per 45 minute set. By the time the front man talks to the crowd a bit between a few songs, and a few seconds in between songs, 12 per set is plenty to fill 45 minutes, unless they are 2 minute songs of course.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Been there, done that. There's a good chance you'll recognize some of the tunes but you may need crib notes for the others. I used to make notations on 5 X 8 index cards and tape them to the sides of my amp, monitor grill, whatever was handy. Pedal root-V and you will survive the night.

Break a leg!

Riis

11. even if they are all that easy, having 60 easy songs floating around in your head that you dont know very well is still a recipe for disaster. i would keep my volume low for that first gig. then just look like you know what you're doing and no one will notice.

12. LeftHandedFrog

LeftHandedFrog

Dec 29, 2008
    Copenhagen
    I'd say like FenderFunker , write a large setlist , with keys and any kind of note that will remind u what tune it is , if it modulates or whatever.
    Writing those things down as you practice will help a lot. Also is you got recordings of all those tunes , play them round and round in your house car headphones , whatever that s what helps me the most when i got to learn that many songs with short notice.
    Try to play them through as well , as is you were jamming live , without stoping in between mistakes...
    And as Victor Wooten says , whenever you play a bad note , you are only half a step away from a good one :)

13. cirrusb2002

cirrusb2002

Nov 1, 2009
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Peavey Cirrus#47, BAM & Versarray, G&L basses, Genz Benz amps
    I'm a pro player who got contracted to do a NY gig with a friend who wanted me to fill in on bass. Good folks, decent players, but they tailor to their audience. The gig went from some modern/recent country, with some Texas swing, to dating back an additional 20-30 years for materiel. End result, lots of stuff I was pretty much unfamiliar with, so I was learning on the fly.
    Advice? Like a couple have said previously, get crib sheets, organize them in whatever fashion suits you so that they're easy to read, & try to have fun. You'll have some kaks, but they'll be close to jazz.....LOL. Above all, be a pro, try hard, don't kill yourself when you oops, & play the song. Country has it's own style, & is not as easy as some may think. For the record, I've got a ton of years as a studio & live guy, playing rock, jazz, funk, Motown, r&B, pit orchestras as well as country. Enjoy the experience & break a leg.
    Oh, yeah, got a call several years ago to fill in for a funk gig, on 3 days notice, had to learn 25 tunes I'd never played before. Yup, there was a little pressure.

14. Half a decade ago i used to play in a cover band that had a 100+song list so when we used to gig it could have been any of those songs from hit me with best shot to stuff to times like these and on. I got the set lists in huge bold letters plus the band leader had all the songs burned to cd in a "setlist #1" per disc format so those are on rotation in my car as i drive 2-3 hours daily due to my job.

We rehearsed last night and we plowed through 40 out of the 60 tunes and while some where good some weren't perfect. It should take at least another couple of rehearsals until i get the material nailed down. Sure its only 3 chords and half notes but i am doing it for the $$$ and for the fun of it too!

Thanks for the advice guys.

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    2 weeks? This is what separates the men from the boys ;)

Everyone has a different threshold of intake, so all I can say is. Do the best you can and whether you think you can or you can't, you're right ;)

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    This is when the number system comes in really handy!:D

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

It is hard to learn 60 songs, note for note, in two weeks.
    Play simple, and groove hard.
    The trick is don't let the crowd know, you don't know.:D:D:D
    Good luck.

18. What I used to do when I was first starting out was I'd print out the set list and put the chord changes behind each song title. It helped a lot.

19. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    2 weeks? what are ya doing wasting time posting, play man play!!

Have confidence and play like you know you can!!

20. +1 Crib Sheets. I have a system that my band mates laugh at because it is unintelligible to anyone but me. Not on purpose, but it does work for me. Take notes at rehearsal. Also, be honest with the other players... if a song is a "bridge too far", let them know. They will appreciate it more than you faking and failing.

+1 Listening. While your at work, in the car, doing the dishes, etc... live the music over the next few weeks. Only listen to those songs. Get them in your head.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020