Gig Issues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jan 20, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Ok.. so herez the deal. Our bands playing a 4 hour gig and our set runs 50 mins short!!! We have about 2 other songs to jam to but we're still like 38 mins short. I'm staring at my bass trying desperatly to come up with riffs.. luckily enough i managed to pull out a surfer riff and a little thing me and the guitar player were working on. In the end we ended up falling 10 mins short, but the manager didnt seem to care. I'd just like to know what are some good approaches to facing these situations, where you have to just pull stuff out of nowhere.. when the pressure is on.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I always make sure to know many many many songs, but I would say that it would be wise to work out simple chord progressions and such that you could easily make into a if you lay down a bass line, and your guitarist lays down a little chordal stuff...then just play whatever for a melody, and you'll be for me at least :D

of course I never have super serious gigs...the longest gig I've ever done was 5 hours and we got a 1 hour break.

btw I'm no mod, but this MIGHT belong in band management and performance forum
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My preferred approach would be not to sign up for 4 hour gigs!! ;)
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Learn more songs.... failing that, you could always do some of the same ones again. How many of the crowd were there all the way through, paying close attention to you?

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    four hour set!!!

holy frikking moly!!!

i think bruce might be right there.. not even pro's do four hour sets.. why on earth put yourself through that!!!
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    4 hours... that's long. I've done gigs before with maybe 3 1hr sets before, but not 4 hours straight. I'll just say that you know you're running out of tunes when you find yourself doing a funk jam (with wah-wah Rhodes IIRC) with the drummer, based on the Ghostbusters theme :eek: :D
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    4 hours! :eek: Do you mean four sets, or four hours straight?

There are several things you can do. First of all, you should time your rehearsals so you know how much material you have, and learn enough songs so that you can cover the time necessary.

One thing you can do is to stretch out some of the songs on your list. Songs with catchy lines (ie, ones that don't get boring right away) can usually be extended by a few minutes by adding more solos. Again, try this in rehearsal to see how it goes.

Another approach would be just to do some on-the-spot improv. This takes a tremendous amount of practice and a lot of people will refuse to try it, but if that is something you can do well, you'll be able to play all day and all night.

I would recommend against repeating songs unless you are completely out of options.

A good idea would be to take a few practices and do "dress rehearsals": time the rehearsals, record them if possible, have some friends sit in and listen, and generally treat them the same way as the gig.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure - if it was 4 straight hours, then I doubt any of the audience will remember the first few songs you played, by the end!! ;)
  9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah, we don't belong here......

Band Management and Performance time......

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've filled in with bands who ran short of material, just because there were a few new guys filling-in and didn't know quite all of the tunes.

With a night that long, you could certainly get away with repeating some songs earlier in the first set. Odds are that the only people still there that heard it the first time were the bartenders.

If this is a regular band unit, you have to be careful never to run short, have at least half a dozen of "extra" tunes on your list for throw-ins.
  11. theres also the good ol' instrumental improv jam. i've made one of those last like 15 minutes
  12. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Heck, I used to play in a band where that was all we did - from 10-2, every two weeks!

It IS possible to make it work!
  13. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    U guys never play 4 hour gigs?? that surprises me we do that once a week. Probably twice a week pretty soon... I'm only 14. Thanks for all the tips guys. Appreciate it
  14. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    WE did do one song over again but I'd actualy rather jam up there it's soo fun. It's tough though when ur on the clock getting paid.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Solution - 12 bar blues with extended jam and repetitive lyrics, such as;

I went down this evenin'/
    To see my missy Sue/
    I went down this evenin/
    To see my girl Sue/
    I said "If you don't know what you want/
    I sure got somethin for you"
    ........followed by 10 minutes of guitar wanking.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need at least 40 songs for a four-hour gig. Fifty is better. Learn 'em, THEN get the gigs.
  17. I'm confused. I thought your problem was not having enough songs to do four hours and now your band plays four hours twice a week? Did I miss something?
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I regularly play 4-5 hour gigs. However, they are composed of 4 or 5 sets, between 40 - 50 minutes, with at least a 10 minute break between sets.

4 hours straight? Where are you playing?
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

20. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003

Well let me clear the confusion.. That perticular night we only took 3 ten minute breaks in between sets and our sax player didnt solo through 5 songs where he usualy does, his solos are long, so that hurt us. Plus we were playing our slow songs too fast. So that's why we fell short. Usualy we're only 10 mins short and then we jam some blues. I just wanted some advice so if this happens again I'll be prepared. I know what u all mean by "Dont take 4 hour gigs unless you have the songs" , but we dont really have the time to wait for having 50 songs in our repetoire. This band's only gonna' be together for 4 more months so we want to play as much as possible together and get an album out. Sadly our sax player and guitar player are going to Boston for college.