Gig Nerves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sock Justice, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Being a young, dorky bass player, I spend most of my time relaxing, and fooling around on bass. I've never been in an actual band, but I have dinky jam sessions with other kids occasionally. As i've progressed in skill, my older brother and I have been jamming a lot. He's one of those scary guitar players...I hear they can't be seen in mirrors...good detection advice. Disposing of them is a troubling matter though. Back to my point.

We've finally started to get a band together. He has a drummer lined up, who's 28, he's 24, and I JUST turned 17. Frankly, I'm scared to death. Crowds have always been my downfall, even back in my trumpet days. I couldn't eat the day before a gig, and I couldn't sleep the night after. This extreme anxiety is double trouble, because I want to be a musician by profession. Don't get me wrong, I love to play, and when I'm up on the stage, I enjoy it, even though I'm "perspiring"(bass players don't sweat) puddles, and shaking like a junkie.

Is this something that will pass with experience? Anyone? I'm really lost here, and I desperately need help. Sucks to be the nervous shy kid, doesn't it? Anyway, thanks for reading(assuming that you did).

2. Like anything else confidence requires Practice.
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Just don't look at the crowd,focus on your bass playing,and jump around and have a good time!

Well before it,eat!Just try not to think about it and hang out with your friends,play sports,anything to get it off your mind.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Try and fake the confidence if you can. I know i have and it's helped me. Now however, i still get some jitters but once you start playin in front of a crowd-there's almost no better feeling :D It gets easier over time-just let it flow. thats all
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Use the same visualization techniques some great athletes use before a game or competition ( only adapted for bass, of course).

Starting even a few days before your next gig, imagine yourself playing in front of an audience in a calm, confident, relaxed manner. Imagine yourself enjoying the gig . Imagine yourself feeling enthusiastic and excited before the gig eager to get onstage and play for the audience and play with your band.

Tell yourself there are no perfect gigs; even the best players make mistakes, but if you make one, you will handle it confidently and move on. Tell yourself maybe no one will even notice. Tell yourself every gig makes you a stronger, more experienced musician. Gigs are not to be feared, but are to be eagerly welcomed for a chance to show how you are improving as a musician every

Do this every chance you get, especially before you fall asleep at night. Do this even when you do not have your bass in hand. Imagine each song you will play and see yourself playing it confidently and well and imagine the audience enjoying your band and you.

Make positive visualization a habit. Such a mental exercize will soothe your pre-show anxiety.
  6. §rokstär§

Dec 4, 2001
    when im on stage i just think bout what im doin....before a show im nervous, but i make jokes and talk bout what im gonna do and it makes me a lot more comfortable...maybe itd do the same for you