1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Nightmare: Markbass Amp Feedback

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by selowitch, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I know you said you had no time to troubleshoot... surely you had time to disconnect the multi effect and plug straight into the amp. Did you try that?

selowitch, Omega Monkey and Skillet like this.
  2. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    This is odd. The only time I have ever seen feedback issues from the bass was with ABG's or Double Bass. I'm not saying I can't make a bass feedback, but I have to crank to ridiculous volumes and stand facing the cab and try to make it happen.

I have seen issues with bass frequencies causing feedback issues with the acoustic guitar. Was there an acoustic guitar player on stage?

3. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    At what point did you bypass the effect? (which has lots of ways to boost and distort your level way past what's usable)

Omega Monkey and Double E like this.
  4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Was it a low frequency feedback, like a hollow bass, or stage might make, or a higher frequency that would be caused by an electronic oscillation? I have seen two unrelated electronic devices oscillate when in proximity to each other. Are you sure your cell phone was not in your pocket?

trevcda and Andy Daventry like this.
  5. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    IMHO, a grounding issue would be more of a "hum" problem ( that possibly oscilates and expands ) vs. a "feedback" issue.

Rush is a good band, but a bad setup.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  6. I can rather easily get feedback out of my rig if I choose to engage the distortion channel on my MXR M80 DI and boost the gain up. Of course I have to stand directly in front of the amp to get it lol. Bass is 18v active electronics so it's a pretty hot rig all around. My guess is most any pedal with a good amount of gain/dirt available can cause feedback if you aren't careful - but I'm far from an expert! I'm guessing you weren't running the Fender box super hot or were you?

7. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    My worst feedback experience was when a pickup had gone microphonic and just squealed like a .... like a thing that squealed. OP that's a real quick and easy check, even at home at low volume. Plug in, give the pickup a few taps with something non-metallic. Corresponding clunks heard through the amp means your pickup is microphonic, and is definitely a candidate for feedback.

Andy Daventry likes this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Yeah, feedback is different from a grounding hum. If there is a hum, press the ground lift button on your amp. That should either eliminate it or decrease it. I get that at this one spot we play at so I'm not in the PA at that place.

I had stage feedback one time on a stage that was made of metal. It was so bad, FOH had me turn my amp all the way down and had me in a monitor.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    nbsipics and Stumbo like this.
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Probably the solution is to change eq and pull back on the frequencies that are feeding back ... GET SOMETHING LIKE ONE OF THESE

[​IMG]

10. The only time I have ever had feedback problems was with a 64 jazz with microphonic pups. I once had a resonance problem which sounded like low frequency feedback but turned out to be the gooseneck on the kick drum mic actually touching the drum shell and resonating at G.

11. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    ok I had something like this happen to me with my markbass 210. band mates dropped it when I wasn't there and pretended like it didn't happen. it messed up the tweeter and that sucker squealed like a pig and then devolved into a digital mess as it was fading out. it sounded a lot like feed back with a little autotune at the end.

12. This sound much more like the floor tom mic feeding back than your bass rig. Unless you heard feedback coming from your amp directly?

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  13. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The only way you can do any relevant troubleshooting would be to book the band into that same venue and leave time for a sound check. Anything else at this point is wishful (at best) thinking. What the OP can do now is make sure their rig (including the suspect pedal) has no faults. Better (late than never) do that now, before the next gig. Time for a setup/test in the back yard. :thumbsup:

HolmeBass likes this.
  14. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Was it high frequency "squeal" feedback or low frequency "rumble" feedback?

I once used a speaker cable as an instrument cable and got feedback due to lack of shielding.

15. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Not to be rude, but nobody needs that pedal. I'm sure it's a nice pedal, but not even in the slightest is it necessary to avoid problems like the op had. It would be best for him to focus on the cause.

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I wonder if it was actually some electronic "noise" from the MarkBass switching power supply radiating into your effects unit? I mean it was an inch away. I use MarkBass exclusively and never had anything like this in a variety of venues.

ktedrow and HolmeBass like this.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Well if an eq pedal won't help then it wasn't feedback.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    So no one needs an HPF/LPF to deal with bad venue acoustics?

And what if the cause is out of his control? That's what eqs are for.

Your statement has no basis in fact.

If you don't want or need an eq, don't buy one.

19. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Everyone has eq. I have a hpf. But having it isn't the reason I don't have noise disruptive enough to cause a disaster like the op had. Thousands of bassists don't have that pedal or even the equivalent, and they don't have what the op had, so I would continue to say he needs to find the source of the noise.

Just a thought...Is it possible the vpf got turned all the way up? I had that happen, and with the amp at gig volume it was pretty horrendous.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  20. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Yes

Fender downtown express problem

Found that thread earlier today before I saw this thread.

selowitch and wave rider like this.