Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig or no Gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jul 10, 2005.

1. yes i do

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. 2-3 is cool yeah???

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. mirror and stereo only...

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. other.... here's why....

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. I'm really curious about this. how many of you actually PERFORM 4-6 times a month? this is not being a jerk or picking on peeps, but how many TB'ers actually gig?

Sometimes when i read "reviews" or "facts" (that was bad, i apologize) stated on this site, i wonder if people are just mirror-gigging or actually playing... opinions are then provided regardless.

A lot of frequent posters have some really valuable info, and i dig it. i have the joy of playing out a bunch and i was wondering the percentage of performing musicians here.. i can kinda weed them out by the nature of the posts, but i was curious about numbers.

I'm not knocking mirror-stereo-computer nuts, i say bring what you got to other musicians, you have something to provide.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, 2-3 would be enough to consider myself a working stiff. Just part-time pro bass player :)

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I gig almost every weekend, usually Saturdays and some Sundays (there's a venue around here that only books on Sundays, real sweet gig too). I'd like to play more on Fridays, but our guitarist works Saturdays, so we only play Fridays if it's for mucho cash or if there's a strategic business advantage to doing it (i.e. getting into a good club).

I'm a full-time college student, so gigging allows me to make just as much money in a few hours than it would normally take me 30+ hours at a job. It let's me keep my GPA. Though, I would like to get some campus employment next semester just so I can paid my resume.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    This July The Nerve! is playing every single Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday. Half of those gigs are paid cover gigs, the other original (mostly all ages out of town shows) and the Monday show is an incredibly sought after spot we just landed 2 days ago opening up for live R&R Karaoke at one of the most happening clubs in the city, Arlene's Grocery. We're very happy and excited about it. :)

If anyone wants to pop by any shows please check the info page on our site. I'd love to meet some of you. If you're gonna be in NY on any Monday nite, the Karaoke thing is really a great event. It's all ages and free too.

So far we have 7 shows booked for august.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No regular gigs yet, probably won't for a while (read: until I move at the end of the summer next year.) Problem is, 90% of the gig spots are filled by older (mid-late 20's and up into the mid-70's depending on what venue you're hitting) musicians on regular, weekly gigs and the rest are taken by the chicken pecking senior-high-school-originals bands that are crawling all over Kingston.

I've got my first gig on Wednesday. It's unpaid, background music for a fundraiser BBQ for a charity here in town. Hardly glorius, but it's not only my first gig ever, but it's my first gig on jazz...with DB...etc. I've performed live a whole bunch, but those weren't gigs (or jazz, or DB!) -- everything connected to schools somehow. I'm incredibly excited, not only because of the gig itself, but in preparation for it, I can really feel my improvements on DB (pulse and walking lines specifically.)

Who knows, maybe someone there'll like our stuff? It's a quartet (vocals, guitar, bass, drums) doing laid back jazz with a few bossas in there to mix things up a bit and a couple swing tunes.

EDIT: The group isn't really a "band," per se, but we played together once before for a school function. The guitarist, vocalist, and I were also in a band together, and I've jammed and performed with the drummer several times, so we're all pretty tight. I'm actually looking to hook up with a couple of Kingston guys my age and the same drummer, but I haven't started on that yet (I've got a lot to do for the rest of the week -- school jazz band is getting together on Saturday for a performance, too, and I've never played our material on my own DB.)

Also, I'm working towards a professional career in music (fingers crossed for me getting into the McGill jazz program this year!) so this gig is even more important to me! Can't wait for our all-day rehearsal tomorrow (for an hour and a half -- seems laughable, but you get out what you put in...damn, I'm excited.)

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've been at about 300+ a year for the last couple of years.

I would LOVE a nice straight day gig with bennies and a little weekend work to blow off steam.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I gig 2-6 times a month.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I limit it to 1-2 times a month. Too much else going on. The guys I regularly play with are gigging 2-4 times per week.

9. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I'm in what I consider "musical hell ...." I live in a place where if one doesn't prefer to play blues, country, southern rock, or what I term "I'm going to eat your children" death-thrash-screamcore-hardcore modern stuff, there isn't much left for one to choose from. Sure, there are wedding bands, orchestral stuff, plays, etc., but none of that appeals to me personally. Again, not knocking any of it, just not my cup of tea. I've actually played in some blues bands and R&B type groups, and it was OK, but I got bored awfully quick. There was no challenge in that type of music for me. Again, it might float someone's boat, but not mine.

If I were a full-time professional, I might see things differently (have to pay the bills!), but I'm not. Unfortunately, at the moment, I'm not playing with a group, recording, etc. There just isn't much of a market here for the stuff I like to play (Yes, Genesis, Rush, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, 80's stuff, etc.). I have to content myself with playing along with stuff on my Ipod. I'm hoping something will come along soon (and yes, I've tried finding others with similar interests to no avail). If it does, 2-4 times a month would be fine with me.

All of this being said, the last group I played with (in northern VA) didn't play the exact kind of stuff I was looking for, but they were (and remain) great people to be with. It made up for the less challenging nature of some of the tunes. I'm also hoping I can meet similar folks here. One can never have enough good friends, I think. Makes making music all that more enjoyable.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Varies with me - on average about 2 or 3 a month. Been through a lean patch in May and June (just 1 gig), but it's picking up again now. I love it and really miss it when it goes quiet. But if I had to do it 6/7 times a week to pay the bills I'm sure I'd feel a little different.

In the runup to Christmas we're booked 5 nights a week for three weeks at the same venue. Never done 15 on the trot in one place before, kinda weird, but looking forward to it.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Time permitting, have you tried playing in more than one musical situation at a time? All of my 8 gigs this summer are freelancing playing covers for functions. My three piece band has nothing lined up, yet each of the other two have got 10-12 gigs lined up with other people, again freelancing. It's a liberating way of keeping it fresh. Sure, most of the music is not inspiring to play, but the players have fun trying different arrangements on the fly.

12. I would love to gig more often, but right now it seems like we average maybe 1 gig a month :p See the thread below I started earlier for why.

13. I used to play way more, but once I got married my priorities changed. That's what she told me, anyway.

Now that I have some weekends free, I kind of like not playing all the time though. I do it for fun now. Couple gigs a month keep it fun, fresh, without becoming a drag, revolving your whole life around gigs. Playing every weekend becomes a chore after a while.

Randy

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I hear you. I got out of playing regularly for about 10 years. I've been back it in a serious way for the past 8. I find that the guys that are still doing it are more committed, don't have visions of stardom and have less ego issues. Plus, all of them are married, with kids and have a different perspective. Nonetheless, we still enjoy the comaraderie, sharing our farts onstage and looking for biggest set of hogans at gigs. :D

15. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I do about three to five per month, but during the summer break that number increases.

Graeme

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've got 2 nights a week of steady "house" gigs and then whatever else I can dig up on weekends. Over the course of a year, I'll play about 150 gigs.

17. I'd play every night if I could, but in reality, I can only get the band together for 1 or 2 gigs each month.

18. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Well I only play church functions most of the time any more. But if that counts I've filled your 4 gigs in this next week.
    Yesterday was supposed to be at an out door lunch songfest thingy from 10 am to 1 pm finally got away at 5pm. Played with about 6 different groups who didn't have a bass player. Left that and went to a small church where we played about 8 songs.

Wens. We are at another church. Along with two other groups then Saturday at another outdoor function. Oh thats not including playing at our church on Friday night.

19. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    12 shows a week since '93. If I had to do over again, I'd probably do something else and play on the side. Not complaining, but playing full-time for a living is not nearly as much fun as people think.

Oh well, beats diggin' ditches... :meh:

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been playing 4-8 open mikes a month for many years now. I play usually 1-2 hours at most of those, and play full sets with one or another of my bands much of the time. It's an easy way to get in a practice, given our other commitments. We usually get thought of as the "house band". I end up running these things for longs stints every couple of years as well.

In the winter, 2-4 gigs a month. This summer: 4-8 a month not counting the open mikes, but still going up exponentially. I have warmups for Dylan, and Crosby, Stills & Nash on the table this morning, wOOt! Not on the main stage, but pre-show at a winery adjacent to their amphitheater.