1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 24, 2019.

1. tokimsaa

tokimsaa

Nov 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I believe the show is schedule for March 21 in Milwaukee.

iriegnome likes this.
  2. mstillman

mstillman

Dec 6, 2011
    The only people who will give a rat's butt about this will be, of course, onstage.

iriegnome likes this.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    This. Find out what your gear would backline for and add that to what they're offering you. They're looking for cheap backline. And if they're hiring you because of your Hammond, that's not random gear.

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    And people in the audience who play

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ll add a +1 to that. Famous groups and “names” invariably have very specific gear requirements spelled out in their riders from what I’ve seen.

Seems weird. Wonder if there’s going to be a “last minute change” in the venue’s queue and the “legends” arent going to be the guys who end up using your gear.

6. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    I haven't read the whole thing so if this was asked already, my bad. But what are they charging for tickets? Not to mention alcohol, etc.

7. JBW

JBW

Dec 18, 2010
    Missouri
    That is equivalent to saying you might as well play a mediocre brand bass rather than your favorite brand with all the mods. If the player feels good about the instrument they are playing, the audience will hear it in the playing.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    While the backline you'd be providing is good gear, I don't think it's necessarily what you'd call "rider friendly." It would surprise me if the "legends" rider doesn't specify equipment more well-known in the industry.

iriegnome likes this.
  9. Just waiting for the gig report now it's a done deal.

ccfalkner likes this.
  10. ccfalkner

ccfalkner

Sep 19, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, I reported back to my last thread a few days ago. I can't think of a good protest/rally chant.

11. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    "We have had about 3 weeks of back and forth email conversations about getting our gear approved by the headlining act."

They're scrounging YOUR gear, but have to approve it?? :eek:

Long long ago, in a faraway place and time, the band >STEAM< of
    "Na-na Hey-Hey Goodbye" fame came to my college.
    They scrounged gear from my band.
    I was off campus that day, and the keyboard player/BL wouldnt give them my amp.

MCF likes this.
  12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Gig report will come next week Friday March 22.

moogieotter and Downunderwonder like this.
  13. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    Please include details about any hot chicks in the report. kthx.

Northern Pike and ccfalkner like this.
  14. ccfalkner

ccfalkner

Sep 19, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    If you are asking for a report on hotter chicks due to the headliner, it is a geriatric band. I am guessing the best you will get is "Used to be hot." or "Dang, she has kept her self up."

15. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    LOL! They played my high school gym. ‘74. They got busted by the Sheriff for drugs. They wrecked the gym floor. One hit wonders. Good song, terrible show. My lead guitarist and I tried to talk to them a bit before the show. They were way too cool for school.

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Gig report. I went through all the hater comments and how "your better than his" bull@@it. The guys from Vanilla Fudge were fantastic. Not only were they crazy gear heads, we spent 8 hours pre/post show talking Hammond Organs, Guitar amps, Basses, my Bass Amp and all sorts of things. They are amazing players. We hooked up with the tour manager with the obligatory CD exchange, and had a blast. Got a couple of pics with Pete using my rig (which I sent to David Nordschow who thanked me). I have never been into playing for money. Led Zepplin opened for Vanilla Fudge. I mean really. How many chances do you actually get to do this. No regrets.. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. These guys were as down to earth, friendly, funny, and most of all rocked the hell out of that place. Got home from the gig at 1am. Back up at 6am and into my office before 7am!! That there is Rock and Roll!! I am out...fin

17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I'm glad you had such a great time. It's fun to hang out with good musicians who are down-to-earth people.

It sounds like the promoters made money but you didnt. They paid the opening act a pittance and got back line for free. What a deal. At least you got exposure and a good experience. I hope they remember you and are more generous in the future. You did them a solid.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

iriegnome likes this.
  18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    It was all positive and on top of it, we had a great show with really cool people. And Pete played my amp.. He is a monster on bass Pete Bremy on my amp.