1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 24, 2019.

1. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    There's no mention of Joey, except under Artists, on the web site. Hammond became Hammond-Suzuki in 1989 IIRC.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
  3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I'm impressed that Vanilla Fudge currently have three of the four original members. This adds a lot cred in my book anyway.

pcake, MCF and iriegnome like this.
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    On a final note, we took the gig. All advertising and promotion will include out name on the bill. We got more than originally offered, we added 3 other dates as an opening act to be determined, we secured food for the gig and drinks and a contract rider that named the club as responsible for any damage to the backline. So, it is not a huge paying gig, but the band Vanilla Fudge rocks still after all these years. And yes, 3 of the 4 original surviving members are still hitting it hard core.

5. Well done! It's gone from "you'd be nuckin' futz to take that gig" to "should be fun and the gear is covered"

Dgl44 and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  6. Jason S

Jason S

Oct 22, 2018

I'd tell them 500 or it's not worth your time. Just moving and setting up a B3/Leslie is worth 200.

7. brother21

brother21

Dec 26, 2008
    Anaheim
    When we get low pay gigs we drop one band member for the night. I guess it would be the keyboard player here, put "Express" at the end of your band name to make it legal, problem solved.

8. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Back in the 1990s my classic rock band opened for a lot of the touring dinosaurs coming through Boise. IIRC, we brought our own back line, the headliners contracted for their stuff, and the house PA was great.

We played for free, and had an absolutely great time. A few of the headliners were jerks, most were okay guys, and a few were wonderful. My favorite remains Uriah Heep guitarist Mick Box, who regaled us in the green room with gig and groupie stories from the 1960s and 1970s until we were all doubled over laughing.

My point is that the experience of opening for these dinosaurs was worth so much more than dollars. Those memories are worth a lot more than a few bucks.

I hope the gig is as much fun as can be!

9. ccfalkner

ccfalkner

Sep 19, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Could even cost you money if the keyboardist is someone like Keith Emerson. This is a more modern solo where he doesn't stab the organ with a knife. It kind of looks like the organ he abused in 1971.
    He starts the major abuse at around 2:37 Don't know what he stuck in the keyboard to keep it playing while he is spraying graffiti. 3:37 is where the organ lands on him and he keeps playing. Awesome solo though. The definition of rock and roll.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  10. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    If the show is a sellout, the gross is $10,500. That money is getting split between the venue, VF, VF touring expenses, VF management, and you. I suspect the math just isn't working out, and they're trying to avoid losing their shirts. If ticket sales are poor, there's even less to go around, and $1,000 for backline rental means that the venue might be seriously out of pocket. BTW, there is beverage sales, but they get those no matter how they pull people into the venue (DJ, Karaoke).

That's not your problem, though. One idea is to have open discussion with the venue letting you know that it doesn't financially makes sense, and that you have a policy not to let other bands use your equipment. However, you would be willing to help them out if they would agree to cover any damage done by VF.

But whatever decision you make and conditions you agree to, feel good about it.

Someone mentioned Eddie Trunks' commentary on this. He periodically talks about old acts that used to pack big rooms and even stadiums that set up tours on the mistaken belief that they still have a draw, only to find themselves playing to empty houses.

11. TOM TERRETT

TOM TERRETT

Apr 25, 2017
    This venue is disrespecting your band. Exposure is a dirty word. JUST SAY NO !!

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I just googled Hammond Leslie organ rental. First place that came up - delivery, set up of just a Hammond and Leslie:

$495. So, you're essentially paying $250 to provide the rest of the backline and play.

13. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    As a life-long Heepfan, all I can say is I am not amazed. Had brief encounters with a lot of the band members over the years (and even ran a fanclub for John Lawton at one point) and they were always down to earth, great people. Thanks for sharing!!

14. John Eland

John Eland

Oct 27, 2015
    HETTON LE HOLE
    Dont let anyone take you for a ride, as they.are clearly trying to do, you provide free gear and they pocket the rental money? Tell them to go shag themselves

15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Here is a photo of a guitar player (in the middle) who was in my band a few years ago hanging out with Vanilla Fudge in October 2017. He is friends with them from his recording and touring days in New York City and they invited him to a show they did in northwestern Pennsylvania.

22829770_10207802185091064_1633352542743185645_o.?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.

22829293_10207802017246868_2868885460812982014_o.?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.

iriegnome, SWRnut and pcake like this.
  16. Old man

Old man

Mar 11, 2013
    Anderson, SC
    Nada
    So the club is getting an hour of your group and renting an entire backline for $250?! Smells stinky to me. Here is an idea if you want to put the time in - price out what your backline would rent for, including the Hammond and negotiate with the club. I would do that before I would blow off the whole gig. Good luck.

17. Surfers Guts

Surfers Guts

Dec 17, 2018

If you want to know should you take the gig, frankly I'd pass...no actually I wouldn't even consider it...unless you want bragging rights...but you could play for free in a pickup band for Chuck Berry or James Brown, a guy I sort of "knew" borrowed my Super Reverb to play bass for JB ("I'll take it easy on the speakers," and they did come back to me all right) but I won't even do hoot nights, period, no house parties or anything for free, ever, no exceptions. Frankly if you know a musician who will play for free it's a 99.999999% indication he sucks on his instrument in my experience. When you're on your death bed are you going to look back and feel good about having some parasite tour manager you'll never see again suck your life force out of you? All these musicians who ever played for free set the precedent for the rest of us. Further you don't see their numbers and they can say anything they want to you "We're losing enough money as it is!" wah wah wah.

18. News Flash
    edit the OP?

pcake, flojob and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you have a fun evening, and more importantly, have a legitimate chance to added to the rotation on a regular basis for a decent venue, that's not bad.

pcake and jerry like this.
  20. Surfers Guts

Surfers Guts

Dec 17, 2018
    Some of the posts you read on these forums are shills...

Just sayin'

iriegnome and EddiePlaysBass like this.