1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 24, 2019.

1. barking_spider

barking_spider

Oct 7, 2018
    I think the moral of this story is that the OP was initially given a terrible deal, he went in and negotiated for more, and then came up with an acceptable deal. Good for him! I've discovered that no matter what service I performance, or goods that I deliver, nothing pays better than negotiation. The few minutes that it takes to offer a counter-proposal can be immensely profitable. It also helps to have a deal that you can walk away from if you can't come to an agreement. Emotions are for amateurs! You've saved the owner's ass with this one, be sure to lean on him in the future!

2. I'd forget about this gig.
    Did this once many years ago with "Mountain" as the headliner and the drummer smashed my friend's drums to pieces with no remorse or reimbursement. Lesson Learned

Mr_Moo likes this.
  3. Ouch! That doesn't even make for a cool story. Who was the drummer?

4. SCOTT_GROVE

SCOTT_GROVE

Jul 25, 2013
    How many beer bottles are these legends going to stack up on / spill on your gear?

5. ccfalkner

ccfalkner

Sep 19, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    After nine pages we are owed a report back after the concert.

6. JoeD

JoeD

Apr 16, 2010
    Hemet, CA.
    Ah the old ‘exposure’ gig. Tell them people die from exposure and to pony up fair market value for your gear and services or you’ll pass. If bands would stop accepting these crappy terms then venues, promoters and booking agents might start paying us what we are worth.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Totally agree

8. brainiac

brainiac

Oct 4, 2005
    Unfortunately, this reeks of the days in Hollywood where any band could come and play as long as the band PAID the club for the privilege! There are always bands desperate enough to go for that, too. I hate to see any band or musicians get abused like this. I guess you should contact whoever in your city rents out equipment and find out how much they charge to rent out your entire backline, including B3 and leslie. If it's somewhere in the $750-$1,000 range, shoot the venue the lower end price. Also, I have no idea how this venue would handle the eventuality of damage to your gear, but that needs to be addressed up front as well. Lots to be considered before selling your soul to the devil!

9. JBW

JBW

Dec 18, 2010
    Missouri
    For a live performance, there is also significant value in the aesthetic derived from having the authentic B-3 and Leslie furniture up on stage.

iriegnome likes this.
  10. Try reading the last couple of pages before jumping into the thread in future.

How about that OP edit?

Lex P. likes this.
  11. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    hauled a '42 hammond BV, four Leslie cabinets, two voice of the theaters, a fender Rhodes (the doorbell), and god only remembers what else for a lot less. all for the love of making music with a good band.

iriegnome likes this.
  12. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ In the seventies it was the cost of being in a band. KB- Rhodes, B3, polymoog, and melotron. Bass- SVT and fridge. Guitar- 1/2 stacks. Drums- 11 piece kit with 7 cymbals, and a gong. Singer- His microphone (in a slip case)

design, jerry, Lex P. and 1 other person like this.
  13. Worst case offer to rent them all the gear at market value ( and they insure it) and you play for free... Im guessing that is still much more than $250

14. Can soneone page me when OP has done the gig please?

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  15. Here's a video of the "Legends" playing with his supplied backline.

16. As anyone who doesn’t have to haul the damned thing will tell you! :laugh:

17. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    Exposure Bux: Pays for gas to do benefits.

18. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Sounds like they might be using you for your gear. But I'd do it so I can put on our website that you opened for several big name acts. Trade the abuse for good promotion. Maybe get some autographs of the band or a shot of you all with the band for the website -- milk the situation for your own benefit.

19. My daughter and son-in-laws band opened for Foghat. Foghat paid for any equipment they needed and my daughters group got paid 5x that amount.

20. Did it happen yet?