Gig Report 10/31/2020 Halloween Borderline in Edmonton

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jason Stock, Nov 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jason Stock

Jason Stock Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    While not as superior as most the of the gig reports on here, I did get a few pics and will work harder on getting action shots, food shots and commute shots in the future.

This gig is our second since Covid and our first at this club in almost a year. As you can see from the pics below, the club encased the band in plexi glass sheets and did not allow dancing for the show.

Set up was fairly simple in the small area. This was our three piece and we have been doing this for a long time together
    11.jpg
    The club was super happy to have live music back in again, here the owner is chatting with us as we set up.
    6.jpg

Just a shot behind the glass after setting up
    7.jpg
    Here are my guitarist and drummer working on wiring the XR18Air
    5.jpg
    Drummer happy with his work
    13.jpg
    And just before we starting playing
    3.jpg

All in all in was a really good show and a great time. Sorry I did not get more pics of the crowd and us playing.
    A few things to note. This was my third time ever running my new light rig with an FCB1010 foot controller. This was a lot of fun and I am very happy with how it turned out and how much time I spent programming and practicing the lights in rehearsal. Singing lead, and playing bass can sometimes be a challenge, but adding lights added even more. In addition, it was my first show with the tiny Ampeg SR 200 watt 210. Review of that will be in the correct forum.

Playing behind glass was odd for sure. A lot of reflection visually. As we usually use my own PA system, we just had to make several adjustments to get the sound right out front (we mic everything)

Overall a great show, appreciative crowd, owner paid us extra cause he was so happy and a fun time for all of us.

I will work harder on writing better reviews in the future (and better pics)

Oh and yes, it was a costume party, so we dressed in theme 4.jpg

2. Dr Fine , Dr Howard, Dr Fine!
    Great gig report and good to see a venue taking precautins.
    THanks for posting!

3. Jason Stock

Jason Stock Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    Not the best at pictures and the report is lacking cause of it, but thank you very much. Yes, this club was very serious about being safe yet being open. The owner had both Health Board and liquor Board approval on his set up. He had to limit his capacity per Covid rules but as he said to us "any money coming in is better than none...."

Heavy Blue, JRA, Bunk McNulty and 2 others like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

wow! that's a lot of special work by both the bar owner and the band to make a setup like that work --- but indeed you did make it work! good show, great pics, and more than anything = glad you had a safe gig while having a good time! thanks for sharing your gig experience! :thumbsup:

Bunk McNulty, nixdad and Jason Stock like this.
  5. Glad to see someone out and playing.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

JRA, Bunk McNulty, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Jason Stock!

Most excellent! Yes, it's a little weird to put the whole band behind plexi. Usually it's just the drummer. Maybe it's a local mandate for your county? Not that it matters. You guys got out there and made some noise for real people. Nice work! I'll be looking for your amp review. That's a cool looking "Mini-Ampeg". It's probably all you need for a stage monitor if you've got full sound out front. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hold your camera straighter, next time.;) (Just kidding!). Awesome! Nice to see folks getting out and about. Thanks for the post!:bassist:

Jason Stock likes this.
  8. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I only had vertigo for the first three...then I got used to it.:D

McG, Jason Stock and BassCliff like this.