Gig Report - 6/11/16 - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Crusher47, Jun 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    My band is down to a 3 piece now, we were a 5 piece with 2 guitarists but we all know how bands change, members move on, etc. Anywhoo, played our first gig as a 3 piece last night, I was a little more nervous than usual since the bass would be more "front and center" and I could not "hide" behind 2 guitars AND I would be doing backing vocals as well, which I'm not strong on, but as Yoda once said, "remember your training" or practice in my case and it turned out to be an awesome experience.....

The Good: We rocked the house! We play quite a few songs that really need a lead guitar but we pulled it off, the crowd was into us, received lots of compliments, beers were flowing, just an all around awesome time that is hard to describe. I always think back to all the hours and hours of practice, both alone and as a band really pays off and is so well worth it in the end. Also, we don't put out tip jars but someone in the audience actually put one out for us, I thought that was pretty cool!

The Bad: Outdoor gig! I was sooooo looking forward to using my Ampeg V4B head with Ampeg 8x10 Classic "Fridge". Despite my best Tetris skills, I could not fit it into my wife's Ford Escape along with all the PA equipment (4 speaker cabinets of various sizes). Had to go with my backup rig, Mesa D800 head with Carvin B115 15" cabinet. Luckily, it was loud enough to be heard by all and it actually sounded really good. Only other "bad" was since it was an outdoor gig and we played from 8pm to 10:30pm, I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos and other bugs flying/crawling all over me. Hopefully I didn't catch the Zika.

The Ugly: Last song of Set List 1, we play "Ace of Spades" by Motorhead, towards the end of the song, my bass cuts out completely. I look back, my Mesa D800 is gone! I keep "playing" along with the guitarist for the last 10 seconds or so to finish out the song, but it seemed like forever! After the song is finally over, I look back and see that the D800 fell backwards (I had it setup on top of the mixer since I was also trying to be the Soundguy since the other 3 people I asked all backed out) and the cord came out. Luckily the amp still works, I was able to play the entire Set 2 with no further issues (I left the amp on the floor for the last set out of the way:))
    20160611_201816_zpsyrlcxq3w.jpg

All in all, had a great time, I survived some glitches and would do it all again!

TL/DR: Outdoor gig, Lot's of bugs, Amp fell and cut out sound during song, Still put on great show

2. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for sharing. Not to downplay the bumps in the road, doesn't seem to bad. If my amp fell (assuming it still worked), I'd have trouble not just laughing out loud, literally (and by 'literally', I don't mean 'not-literally'). :) The mosquitoes, OTOH, that would drive me nuts. Mosquitoes love me and I HATE them.

McG likes this.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I got injured at my gig. Some chic dancers knocked over a light stand and it hit me on top of my head!

dbase likes this.
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats on the gig and keep it up, Crusher47!
    Try to include more pics next time!

Nixdad

dbase and McG like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Yes, we can't ever have enough gig pics :thumbsup:

dbase and nixdad like this.
  6. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Oof, I'll take Ft. Worth heat and bugs over Houston heat and bugs, but not fun in either situation. Glad the D800 is bullet proof.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland

Cool gig review, and pretty impressive with the D800--seems like it's pretty solidly made.

nixdad likes this.
  8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Remember ... No pics = gig never happened ;)

nixdad likes this.
  9. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    I had a HUGE mud-daubber buzzing around me all afternoon at a hill country gig. Finally swatted at him with my hat and he went away. 82 degrees in the shade. I love the hill country!

Fat Fingers likes this.
  10. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    I'd rather have a sticky amp from duct tape or something rigged rather than a broken 700 dollar amp. Ya feel.

11. RBASS930

RBASS930

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    There is something special about bass, drums, and 1 guitar. Enjoy it!

joebar and Fat Fingers like this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Where did you play? I was off this week. We have a rare 3 week break. 6/25 will be our first gig at North Texas 50/50.

13. I like trios.

14. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Congrats on a successful gig. And thanks for giving me another reason to love my SVT... 80 lbs of amp ain't shakin' off my rig at any time! Lol

Crusher47 likes this.
  15. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I have similar responsibilities in one of my bands, 3 piece, but I end up mixing 8+ channels and a monitor mix.
    Reminds me, I had my preamp fall off my cab once, I need to grab some Velcro.
    What powered mixer is that?

16. Duct tape/gaffers tape, folded into a loop and attached to the back of your shirt, near the neck. Bug problem solved!
    Fishheadjoe

17. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Photobucket is blocked here at work, will try and post some pics. when I get home later :)

Yeah I now know for next time. First time ever using the D800 outside of the house.

Rabbit Hole Brewing in Justin.

Will try that next time :)

18. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Forgot to mention, the Ugly part II --> My right hand cramped up something fierce near the end of our last song. I can play 2+ hours at home with no issues but playing 45 minutes at a gig for some reason cramps me up. I was drinking plenty of water but I guess I was still dehydrated. Need to figure out how to resolve this....

dbase likes this.
  19. Will also work if you put it on your strap, behind your back.
    Fishheadjoe

20. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    It was hot and humid out Saturday night. Surprised you didn't get rained on. More water, less alcohol. Alcohol will dry you out. The heat probably didn't help either.