1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Report: A Pedalboard Fail, and I’m Too Old For This

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DoctorZee, Aug 11, 2019.

1. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

2. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    I'm 46, married with young child and work as a healthcare provider as well as part time (9 credits per semester) college professor.

I'm in 2 cover bands, each of which gig 6-8 times per year, plus I take sub gigs, and I'm in an originals band which will soon be releasing an album.

Like you - I avoid no pay/poor logistics/bad hang/bad music gigs at all costs. But the biggest thrill is playing original music, not aping someone else's basslines. I love the challenge, the blank canvas, and the opportunity to be truly myself.

3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    OLD ??? ROFLMAO - I didn't START playing bass until I was 10 years older than you are now!
    Wait until you are playing 4 nights in a row at the same venue, opening for regional/national acts on a Fri/Sat night, then have to play until 2am AFTER they are done on each night with setup/tear down included each night!!
    Getting into bed at 4am on Sun (after an hour drive home) ??
    NOW THAT will make you feel OLD!
    But.. DANG. .. I LOVE IT !! :)

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Dang.. with all that going on, does your spouse even remember your name ?? :D;)

5. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I just wanna say how I larfed to have noticed the striped pants in the first, and last, pics.

And the nice, eh, keyboard.

(I love my PF500.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Sore Thumb likes this.
  6. And THAT is why I always go straight into the amp. I'm paranoid about pedalboards!!

CaptainWally likes this.
  7. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

it's a documented fact that musicians get younger as they get older.

Sore Thumb, BassCliff and Joshua like this.
  8. I am 40, and I will happily play any gig that comes my way. :D

bolophonic and Admiral Akbar like this.
  9. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    35 and too old :laugh: wish I was 35 again.

10. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    35? I have underwear older than that.

Flog, Cutter8, Sore Thumb and 3 others like this.
  11. 35 is too old?! Jeez dude, don't limit yourself. I'm older than you, with a 1 year old. We're good. ;)

12. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    No power strips, self contained rechargeable battery under the pedal board (never failed) ... oh and I’m 65 so you got a ways to go before complaining

26F779E2-6BAE-44C3-8B8D-4858E7B09E44.

13. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    This is what I was thinking since I have children in that ball park. Or, bowling alley, as the case may be. :D

Still, I get the “too old” notion. I’m definitely there now, but in reality, I probably was back then too. :cool:

s0c9 likes this.
  14. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    You missed the first thing I do at any gig. Bad power can destroy even the best power supply. My real fear is have 2 receptacles out of phase with each other and being electrocuted when I touch the mic when my hand is on the strings.
    gfci.

jeffbrown and BurningSkies like this.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I just got asked to sub for a punk band for a gig in September … I am 30 year older than the OP … so I turned it down ...

[​IMG]

16. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Still doing this kind of gigs with my original bands (sometimes). But we do it happily and with a professional attitude, so the local promoter sometimes books us to open for interesting gigs. Also, the music is very fun and I play with some of those guys for more than 30 years.

OTOH, with my cover band, we never play for free (and we ditched some bar gigs for which the pay was not up to what we can earn elsewhere). We mainly play corporate events, weddings, etc.

I guess the different markets dictates different rules.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    It reminds me of a great scene in Game of Thrones where Beric is talking to the Hound and says something like "why are you always in such a foul mood?" to which he responds: "Experience.".

DoctorZee likes this.
  18. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    The place reminds me of a little bar I use to play called "Terry's Country Lounge". We played there 2 weekends a month. $40 a person and all you could drink!

Flog likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm the exact opposite - I've had amp heads fail me (never really had pedalboard issues), and am paranoid about them. Luckily, I play mostly ampless gigs - all I have is a pedalboard.

But yeah, at 35....you're not too old for anything, except maybe dating high school girls.

20. peter nicholas

peter nicholas

Aug 1, 2019
    ma, usa
    that's why i use wireless and a foam windscreen on the mic. got my lips zapped once, decided that was enough.

Sore Thumb likes this.